Can someone please explain the attraction of road riding?

you need some more map reading skills. Even London based friends can find moderately empty lanes within striking distance. The UK actually has masses of quiet lanes that a huge number of people don't even know exist, let alone drive along them like cretins.[/quote]

I'll second that :cool: I can be riding along single track roads for hours at a time around here, and if - as Matt says - Londoners can, then everyone can!

Go on, you know you want to try it. I won't tell ! :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

It's between Muchelney on the Somerset levels, and Long Load (I think) on the edge of the levels :cool:

Just thought the OP might be thinking lycra and a racing/road bike would be the only way to go, but as I haven't had a 'road' bike proper for years this is the way I do my road riding....until I can pick up a nice Claud Butler from the '50s again, obviously ;)

As with everything in life it's about choices - you don't have to be breathing in crap from cars and running the gauntlet with angry drivers, you can choose to meander through scenic back roads and beautiful countryside, take all day about it, and find a pub. Or two.

I guess though this is all much more difficult if you don't have the advantages of lucky buggers like me that live in the sticks to start with....

Re: Re:

I have no doubt I would like it if..... There were no cars on the road![/quote]

I'd like the local bridleways even more if the sodding horses didn't churn them up ! Making some totally unrideable! :evil:

UHU ! :LOL: :LOL:

What are these things the OP speaks of?
Road riding is one way of wearing me out. Easier to come back unable to walk. You see lots, MTBing to me is mostly trees. Less hassle as bikes need less cleaning and don't wear out. Much more sociable, MTBing tends to mean single file and more spread out. Its noisier as well. Road means plenty of chatting.

Back