Can anybody help with the age of my Urago frame?

Keith / Ned

That's the one :) What an odd system, My addled brain remembered it as having traditional cotter pins but it has an Allen bolt.

82 might be a Stock Number stamped by the seller........we stamped frames for ID purposes.

Shaun

keithglos":1805o6b4 said:
Shaun got there first, agree completely, the Gnutti cotterless was dead by late 50's. A P C (Johnny) Bowles imported Uragos about that time, and I had 50 Gnutti cotterless from him for very little.

Interesting stuff there - I assumed that the only splined cotterless BB system in pre-ISIS/Octalink days was the Williams AB77 one. Which means RB has taught me a new fact today. :)

David

Uragos often have a stamped number on the rear left dropout. If your French is any good, there's a fair bit of Urago information on the French Tonton Velo site.

Thanks for the info ill have a look on the dropout, can you tell me the tonton velo website address please

Neil

Neil, We always referred to the wheels as 27's, now known as 700 c.
Most had 27 x 1 1/4 for winter, wired on, which were 27 inches diameter less 2 1/2 inches to the wire bead. Mine were always tubulars, so the overall diameter was less, generally down to 26 1/2 inches, but always referred to as 27's. There were previously 26 inch tubulars.
Most people in 1960 had frame clearance for 27 x 1 1/4 and mudguards, which meant long reach brakes with the best wheels in. Some had frames specified with close clearance.

Keith

Back