Campagnolo headset, missing a washer?

bencook

Dirt Disciple
Hi. On my recently acquired bike the headset keeps coming loose each time I go out for a ride. I’ve tried tightening the locknut against the top cup as tight as my spanner (and noodle arms) will allow. A local bike shop also had a go with a long set of spanners, but it came loose again.

I’ve just noticed that there’s no washer between the locknut and top cup. I think there should be. Certainly the one in this photo has one.

I’m hoping that washer would help. Any ideas where to buy one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 655E4E73-CA53-4DCB-9E65-CDC555AF58A9.jpeg
    655E4E73-CA53-4DCB-9E65-CDC555AF58A9.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
If you want genuine I'd try somewhere like Mercian Cycles or another Campagnolo agent. Other than that a bog-standard alloy headset washer should be available at any decent bike shop or on Ebay.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The threaded headsets usually have a keyed washer that sits between the lock nut and top bearing cup, the keyed notch should sit in the groove that you often find on the back of the threaded part of the forks.
Link here to another thread of someone looking for the same part.

Not all forks have that groove or a flattened portion to accept the tab. I often had to file that tab off.

Constant loosening of the headset shouldn't occur, washer or no washer. I'm suspecting the threads are worn, either on the headset or the forks

Reactions: Woz
Hi. On my recently acquired bike the headset keeps coming loose each time I go out for a ride. I’ve tried tightening the locknut against the top cup as tight as my spanner (and noodle arms) will allow. A local bike shop also had a go with a long set of spanners, but it came loose again.

I’ve just noticed that there’s no washer between the locknut and top cup. I think there should be. Certainly the one in this photo has one.

I’m hoping that washer would help. Any ideas where to buy one?

Thanks!
You could try wrapping some ptfe tape around the top of the steerer tube, that might stop it rattling loose👍

Not all forks have that groove or a flattened portion to accept the tab. I often had to file that tab off.

Constant loosening of the headset shouldn't occur, washer or no washer. I'm suspecting the threads are worn, either on the headset or the forks
I've just had a quick look and there is no slot or flat on the thread. The lower part shows a space for a washer at the top.

I'll give the PTFE idea a try next.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 4
I put a couple of turns of PTFE around the thread on the forks and tightened up the headset. Did a ride today and for the first time it didn’t work it’s way loose. Fingers crossed this will last…

Back