Campagnolo Chorus age, please....?

Cheers, bikenut - I thought about that but as I wanted something to ride as well, I figured I'd leave it for the time being.

I'm not under any illusion about it, it's a mid-level spec with some nice kit on it which is all in good order. He wanted €250 for it but, after a bit of "discussion", I gave him €180 for it in the end! I couldn't leave it after me at that money, don't you think? :)

This is another picture of it after I put the Cinelli bars and stem on it and a Sonoma saddle I had.

IMG_2280_zps064d1f07.jpg

I know it's not about money, but that's about the price of the group set on a bad day!
If you don't repaint, give it a really good clean and wax it within an inch of it's life with a good car wax...several times. You'll get a really rich patina; that and a good session with autosol on the components will really bring the whole build to life! :)

This was in far far worse condition when it was found...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 418098602/

Thanks for that, bikenut!

Rest assured, the flames of my interest have been well and truly fanned, espcially since I found and registered for this site. As noted in an earlier post, I'm in Dublin at the moment recovering after knee surgery so, when I get back, hopefully in two weeks time, I shall be able to get to grips with some fresh planning.

I spoke to the guy in the shop about getting it re-painted and, while it would be possible, it would be expensive to get it restored to original standard with all the masking required and so on. However, that's not to say it couldn't be done. In the meantime, I intend to use it alongside my tourer which is also my daily commuter and to have a look at re-establishing the 531c-tubed Raleigh Panasonic replica that is also in the garage but which is eqiupped with a mish-mash of bits (Dura-Ace brakes, Ernesto Colnago chainset, Campag hubs) which, while they are all from the 80's, are not all in serviceable condition.

But yes, I'll get to the proper cleaning and polishing when I get back!

I was too quick with my summary there - among the "unserviceable" bits is the Colnago chainset after the right-side crank broke. I replaced it with a Gipiemme item at the time which, curiously, was the only one I could find that would take the Colnago chainrings which I assumed were Campg-based. Maybe I didn't search hard enough back then.

Anyway, when I get back to Italia, I'll post some pictures of the lot on a separate thread and see where I go from there. I need to properly identify the Raleigh frame, which hopefully I will be able to do with the frame-number as it may well be suitable as the basis of an Eroica-eligible machine. That event is about 5-hours easy drive from where I live so I've taken a punt at trying to get an entry. If I get a place on it, it'll be a target to aim at.

More anon!

Re: Campagnolo Chorus (Varsalona) age, please....?

Finally got back to Italy last week, still on crutches so not able to get much done. Stopped by this fellows shop again today to find out a little more.

Builders name is Stefano Varsalona from the local area. The shop is now a bike and sports gear shop but he keeps a workshop and mechanic going out the back.

The frame was built between 93 and 95, he thinks and the tubing would have been in stock, so a little bit older.

It had been lying around the shop for some time, hence all the paint chips. I've not yet had time to get into any detailing as it must now be pressed into service as a "static bike" for my knee rehab by the addition of a turbo-trainer. I got a set of bars onto the original 3ttt stem but it was a mission to find some that were 44 c-c with a shallower drop.

I took a couple more pictures this evening. The rear brake bridge shows the Cinelli logo. The seat stays and BB have the name. I have a used set of Campagnolo pedals from the mid-nineties on the way.

IMG_2349_zps7fb8e977.jpg

IMG_2350_zps7d2aa79e.jpg

IMG_2351_zps96a3b2ad.jpg

IMG_2352_zps5e8fe056.jpg

IMG_2356_zps903e261f.jpg

IMG_2357_zps4a6eb1f0.jpg

IMG_2360_zpsa1cdfc24.jpg

IMG_2361_zpse3e92cf2.jpg

Back