Campag freewheel /Bullseye

Yetichaser

Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I’m struggling to get comfortable on how to make this work.

I’ve got a Bullseye hub built up into a wheel. It has the screw on thread.
Previously, I used a 6 speed freewheel when running it briefly with a Shimano set upz

However, I now want to run Campag Euclid rear mech and shifters.
What freeweheel do I need? Can I use a generic 7 speed or (possibly an 8 speed?
I’m looking at Sheldon Brown’s website but can’t quite fathom it out.

Campag 7 and Shimano 7 speed spacing is *basically* the same, likewise shimano 8 can be used with Campagnolo. So you can bolt on a 7 or 8 speed freewheel and it will *basically* work. The spacing isn’t perfect so you are always best setting the shifting up in the middle cassette cog because, if the cog spacing is .2mm out and you set it up on the smallest cog then by the time you hit the biggest cog you’ll be 1.6mm out, however if you set up on the middle cassette cog then at either end you’ll only be .8mm out.

Also bear in mind that there could be an issue regards the driveside/non-driveside spacers/washers on your bullseye hubs. 6speed hubs tend to be 130mm spaced not 135mm, 8 speed are always 135mm and that extra spacing is on the drive side so without the correct bullseye axle with the correct number of washers on each side your cassettes will foul the dropout and won’t spin. Even if your hub is 135mm you might find that the spacing is incorrect for an 8 speed freewheel, but you may be able to just shift washers from one side to the other to help add extra space to the driveside, although this will require a little re-dish on the wheel

more on cassette spacing here

Thanks, very informative.
I’m planning on using a 7 speed freewheel. Just ordered a Sachs Aris one that is supposed to work well with Campag.
I think the Bullseye hub is 130mm but i’ve added spacers equally on both sides to get to 135.

Hopefully the qxle spacing is not an issue with a 7 speed freewheel

Campag and Shimano have identical 7s spacing at 5.0mm. I happily ran a Campag 7 setup on a Shimano hub and cassette.

Campag continues the 5mm spacing into 8s whereas Shimano squeezed it down to 4.8mm, which sort-of works with a Campag 7/8 setup, in the same way that the 7s Shimano thumbie with hidden click sort-of works.

Back