Calling All Orange C16R Owners

1997 C16R owner signing in.

This one's been owned by a couple of other forum members and is on its third paint job. Was bought as a bare frame in Slime Green apparently so it will never be in original spec anyway. ;) I think it's quite an unusual example having a 1 1/8" head tube.

It's currently a "work in progress", but a keeper. Got a few changes planned but it's a joy to ride, light and fast.

file.php

Gonna go riding now...

Re:

Just read through 25 pages of pure O rated. I can’t not get involved.

I’ve owned my fair few bikes. Most of them being retro. Starting with my first MTB, a 1990something 13” Specialized rockhopper. But this one in particular has some real sentimental value.

Coming at you direct from ‘95.
Bought from @noahsarkcycles (Still proudly sports the original Noah’s ark sticker) it’s been in the family since new for 23 years.
The second orange in the Gardner family after the first was stollen from our garage. I have this bike, and my dad (the original owner) to thank for who I am today... Now it’s in my possession in pretty much original spec with period upgrades. Easily my favourite bike to date-

What isn’t original spec is a period correct upgrade or replacement due to ware. This bike hasn’t been used for easily 20 years.

As mentioned dad bought it from new and then after an Achilles snapping and a broken knee in short succession it got hung up on the garage to collect dust.
After years of “recovery” -decided he preferred pumping weights over pumping tyres- Dad then moved over to road bikes, buying a delicious carbon Pinerello and the orange was forgotten- just a happy memory of Dad and I (more dad and me trailing behind) riding XC.

Only taken down 5 years ago for a clean and a service, to find pretty much everything in working order. Tubes changed and cables tightened(and some fresh slick road tyres fitted-soon to be changed back for period rubber) it retired once again to the garage...

This brings us to date.
After breaking my hand in a, could have been serious but wasn’t, ‘road collision incident’ with a truck on Hackney road, and a house move offering up more “fun space” I enquired about what my Dads intentions were with the relic. Expecting him to be very VERY precious over his ex-pride and joy I didn’t favour my chances- I don’t have great history with dads possesions- but to my joy and surprise he said yes... we exchanged goods and a few notes and the 1995 Orange C16R was MINE!
A bike I could only dream of owning all those years ago was in my possession. Along with a whole bag full of period accessories... AND they keep coming. That garage is an Aladdin’s cave of ‘90’s CX accessories.

Anyway. I will get more photographs, but for now I’m just enjoying the ride.
There are things I need to replace/fix. The front forks need re greasing- to which we have the original Pace grease gun.

(Text from dad- Been in the garage and found some original tools.
Wheel bearing cone spanner’s and Teflon grease, original seat post clamp bolt, bottom bracket pulley tool, copper grease and Pace grease gun.... . ALL PERIOD ORIGINAL and like new and in an original bikenet bag)

The front wheel is the original FIR wheel and needs some love, (Should be replaced but I’m holding onto it for as long as I can. ) new brake pads, headset needs a service, but honestly that’s about it.
All period upgrades from here on, tyres are my next mission. We do have some period correct options in Aladdin’s cave, but nothing in a pair.

Anyway. Let the fun commence.
(Also, my dad is exactly 30 years older than I am... meaning he was almost exactly the same age as I am now when he bought the bike) Apparently Fad was as excited then as I am now. I can believe it.

47386139_10161287682360392_106718044541157376_n.jpg

47422242_10161287682855392_1740975932715302912_n.jpg

work station- (featuring my -other- pride and joy, Hellas Lo Pro)

47322882_10161287683405392_513657743341518848_n.jpg

And finally... Early 90’s Dad on the original (stolen) Orange.

47325838_10161287682605392_25554011734147072_n.jpg

- ended up uploading them from Facebook as photobucket now have a hideous water mark.-
--let me know if they don't show up--

Re:

What a great thread. This has been a great crash course in the history of the C16.

Just inadvertently acquired a 94(?) C16 frame with some Quadras and post, stem and bars.

Frame is now at the powder coasters so will hopefully have some pics up on here in due course.

Re: Re:

KondratievsBike":r1fcudsu said:
What a great thread. This has been a great crash course in the history of the C16.

Just inadvertently acquired a 94(?) C16 frame with some Quadras and post, stem and bars.

Frame is now at the powder coasters so will hopefully have some pics up on here in due course.

Welcome, glad it has helped you. I look forward to seeing photos.

Jussa

Re:

Turns out from the frame number mine is actually a late Clockwork (March 94) so I shall trouble this thread no more and head on over to the Clockwork thread :facepalm:

Re: Re:

Ben Trash Mile":2iiyhhxu said:
Just read through 25 pages of pure O rated. I can’t not get involved.

I’ve owned my fair few bikes. Most of them being retro. Starting with my first MTB, a 1990something 13” Specialized rockhopper. But this one in particular has some real sentimental value.

Coming at you direct from ‘95.
Bought from @noahsarkcycles (Still proudly sports the original Noah’s ark sticker) it’s been in the family since new for 23 years.
The second orange in the Gardner family after the first was stollen from our garage. I have this bike, and my dad (the original owner) to thank for who I am today... Now it’s in my possession in pretty much original spec with period upgrades. Easily my favourite bike to date-

What isn’t original spec is a period correct upgrade or replacement due to ware. This bike hasn’t been used for easily 20 years.

As mentioned dad bought it from new and then after an Achilles snapping and a broken knee in short succession it got hung up on the garage to collect dust.
After years of “recovery” -decided he preferred pumping weights over pumping tyres- Dad then moved over to road bikes, buying a delicious carbon Pinerello and the orange was forgotten- just a happy memory of Dad and I (more dad and me trailing behind) riding XC.

Only taken down 5 years ago for a clean and a service, to find pretty much everything in working order. Tubes changed and cables tightened(and some fresh slick road tyres fitted-soon to be changed back for period rubber) it retired once again to the garage...

This brings us to date.
After breaking my hand in a, could have been serious but wasn’t, ‘road collision incident’ with a truck on Hackney road, and a house move offering up more “fun space” I enquired about what my Dads intentions were with the relic. Expecting him to be very VERY precious over his ex-pride and joy I didn’t favour my chances- I don’t have great history with dads possesions- but to my joy and surprise he said yes... we exchanged goods and a few notes and the 1995 Orange C16R was MINE!
A bike I could only dream of owning all those years ago was in my possession. Along with a whole bag full of period accessories... AND they keep coming. That garage is an Aladdin’s cave of ‘90’s CX accessories.

Anyway. I will get more photographs, but for now I’m just enjoying the ride.
There are things I need to replace/fix. The front forks need re greasing- to which we have the original Pace grease gun.

(Text from dad- Been in the garage and found some original tools.
Wheel bearing cone spanner’s and Teflon grease, original seat post clamp bolt, bottom bracket pulley tool, copper grease and Pace grease gun.... . ALL PERIOD ORIGINAL and like new and in an original bikenet bag)

The front wheel is the original FIR wheel and needs some love, (Should be replaced but I’m holding onto it for as long as I can. ) new brake pads, headset needs a service, but honestly that’s about it.
All period upgrades from here on, tyres are my next mission. We do have some period correct options in Aladdin’s cave, but nothing in a pair.

Anyway. Let the fun commence.
(Also, my dad is exactly 30 years older than I am... meaning he was almost exactly the same age as I am now when he bought the bike) Apparently Fad was as excited then as I am now. I can believe it.

47386139_10161287682360392_106718044541157376_n.jpg

47422242_10161287682855392_1740975932715302912_n.jpg

work station- (featuring my -other- pride and joy, Hellas Lo Pro)

47322882_10161287683405392_513657743341518848_n.jpg

And finally... Early 90’s Dad on the original (stolen) Orange.

47325838_10161287682605392_25554011734147072_n.jpg

- ended up uploading them from Facebook as photobucket now have a hideous water mark.-
--let me know if they don't show up--
hey guys, I've spent most of today going through my next steps... Tyres. But I'm wondering, what width of tyres can I get away with? I'm contemplating something like a 2.3 front and 2.25 rear... reckon this will fit? I know we used to run a 2.1... But I can't remember how tight that was.
Thanks

Re:

How do I calculate the bb axle length needed for a STXrc mc40 crankset on a 94/95 ?. I'm swapping out an octalink 113mm and Xt m751 because the arms are too long, hurting my knees. The current setup sits snug to the shell and gives a good chainline. Could I go with the same in a square taper?

Watching with interest. I just swapped the crankset on my C16R from Alivio to LX & didn't give any thought to any change in BB axle length being required. Done same on nearly all my old bikes.

Re:

I've got a un72 lying around and fitted it and the crankset. It was far too wide , measured at 122mm. Chainline was all messed up. Took it off again and put it back to the way it was until I have a different bb to fit....

Back