Caliper brakes, overhaul and correct setup advice please

i know this thread is old, but thought i'd give it a shot anyway: i have a set of Weinmann 500 calipers and want to grease them up (like this thread advises) but not sure what type of grease to use. i've been looking at Castrol LM Grease (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165705) and BikeHut Teflon Grease (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228374). from what i've read it seems as though either would be fine, which means i'm leaning towards the Castrol stuff because it's cheaper, but i thought i would ask first in case anyone has any specific knowledge

could anyone recommend either one please? bear in mind i would like the grease to be used for general bike purposes too

Re:

I bought a large can of Castrol LM about 30 years ago and still have about half of it left. I use it for practically everything. I think it was originally specced for automotive wheel bearings but tbh any bearings on a bicycle will be comparatively lighty stressed and this will be fine. I suppose the more competetive amongst us might want something less 'sticky' but I doubt this makes much difference to your bog-standard mortal.

thanks for the info Martin. i think i might just go ahead and get the Castrol then. one question though: as you say, the Castrol would be fine for greasing bearings and things like that, but would it be ok for greasing brake pivots?

:LOL: cooking lard would do just as well :LOL: Try not to get too worried about it,its just grease and simple grease at that.
Outwith any copaslip or Ti prep the grease on a brake pivot or any other part is happy bathed in any standard grease.

Re:

Yep, I would agree with the above. It is probably worth investing in a tube of Copaslip or similar to lubruicate or rather coat alloy-steel interfaces such as seatposts, pedal threads etc to help prevent them binding together but otherwise a can of LM will be just the job for all your greasing needs.

Re:

Ooh, I like a good old Wienmann 500! In addition to the advice above, albeit a bit bodgetastic, is to use zip ties threaded around the slot where the pads fix and the fork blades: it stops them flexing, especially if you've drilled them to buggery! People are right, they were pretty popular on TT bikes as well as cheapo gas pipe raleigh's and peugeot's, nothing much was lighter (except those similar looking modolos with titanium spindles maybe?).

Re: weinmann 500 sping too stiff

Hi all,

hitching on the back of this thread... hope that's ok...

I've dug out a 20 something year old Dawes, with weinmann 500 brakes, however, they are a bit stiff. I have removed and cleaned them but it appears the spring is the culprit, anyway to soften the spring?, can I get any modern replacement spring? or can anyone recommend a new softer modern brake?

grateful for any helpful advice...

thanks
sud

Back