Cable routing conundrum

Re:

Definitely longer cable if I go with option 2

Option 1 makes for slower steering IME, due to stiffer gear outer rubbing the headtube.

Longer bars are not happening, 560s for this one LGF

Mike

Why not cross the beams over the top tube so you can use the cable stops on each side for the outer at the front, and cross them to change position at the rear. No idea if this gets done, but personally I dislike the excess cable at the front that option 2 creates, and unless it is impossible due to frame/build limitations, try and avoid it at all costs.

It does have 1 advantage though, if you get the length right, you can prevent your bars hitting the top tube.

Does it really make that much difference to the steering? Can't say I have noticed, but then I'm just a casual rider. Curious to know.

Re:

That crossing of cables is an option, but not one I will consider thanks.

I can either have tight cablefrom the shifter, or between the headtube and stop.

BTW, I run a rear/right brake set up on all my bikes Ian, so that would be tight too!

Mike

I like a bit of rub. Shows it gets ridded. Option one with lime green cable.

Thing is, tight cable routing like that breaks down the gizzards of the gear cable outer. Brake outer is nice and supple by design whereas gear is a spiral of straight wires and not happy and being bent or forced into sharp curves.

It may mean a stiff letter to the Times in protest!

Back