C16R keep or break

Just remember 'modern' geometry is a compromise - short stems and wide bars for those super long forks, something has to give. Unfortunately its now pretty much all that is available to a purchaser and if you've never ridden the older stuff, the old kit is starting to look and feel odd.

However, older geometry is no angel either, its essentially a copy of a copy of a road bike with a few tweaks here and there. Its arse up in the air riding style rarely suits anyone especially if you take an old bike around a modern trail centre - if you just read the magazines, trail centres pretty much exist to promote new bikes which exist to promote trail centres. Old geometry bikes simply wont work round them and will be very uncomfortable. It seems the art of slinging an old bicycle across the countryside on your own is getting lost.

Another However is Gravel bikes seem to be old mtb geometry and are rather nice to ride out in the wilds and are far easier to look after.

So, sling it in the loft or repurpose it, its time will come back round again as everything else does in the cycle industry (such as 1970's hydraulic disc brakes, 1930's v-brakes, ahead stems and so on)

Re:

Big cheese - very insightful- thanks for taking the time to post your take. I like your point about the art of footling at distance. I enjoy chucking our bikes down demanding singketrack and modern geometry is good at that. I also love long distance hucking and long-drag climbing - South Downs Days. For that, the c16r does indeed shine. I’ll make a reserved hanging space for it I think. Good take.

Back