C-c-c-c-ccc-cc-cold....

Dr. S! I was snuggled up on the sofa with an armpit full of oozing shingles pustules last week, but here's a photo of my usual office....

Putting gardens on roofs, an area of a building not known for it's central heating!!! I'm the first to moan when I go to my girlfriends office (and our office!) of the sub tropical temperatures in there, for the record I think the lowest temperature we've worked in all day is -4c, wet through, covered in shit!

www.evergreenroofgardens.co.uk

rosstheboss":1dus18mq said:
Dr. S! I was snuggled up on the sofa with an armpit full of oozing shingles pustules last week, but here's a photo of my usual office....

Putting gardens on roofs, an area of a building not known for it's central heating!!! I'm the first to moan when I go to my girlfriends office (and our office!) of the sub tropical temperatures in there, for the record I think the lowest temperature we've worked in all day is -4c, wet through, covered in shit!

www.evergreenroofgardens.co.uk

I feel for you dude. Its not fun being wet and cold all day. Coldest i have worked in was on the Swedish Rally in 1993. The temp in Hagfors was minus 23 at one point during the night. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Spanners stick to your bare hands in those temperatures if you are dumb enough to take off your gloves.

To be honest I prefer the cold to the heat when I'm at work - you can warm up when it's cold, but cooling down when it's hot is a lot harder, especially on a roof on a building site.

For example this summer(?!) when we had that little heatwave I was working on a very refelective metal roof, wearing a harness and rope, wearing trousers (not allowed to wear shorts - h&s!) or take your shirt off, plus of course hardhat, boots and hi vis vest. We were sweating our arses off fitting rockwool then bags of soil and rolls of sedum on top of that. In the winter you it's much easier to regulate your temperature, unless you're wet and then you're fooked! I used to do land surveying, which basically involved standing still all day pressing one button on a machine and waving your other arm to signal to the other bloke, I remember ice forming on my jacket in the depths of midwinter in a field outside southampton once, that WAS fecking chilly.

You'd still have to pay me a LOT of money to work full time in an office full time though, working outdoors is :D :D :D

A couple of years ago I was working over in Humberside during the week, and travelling back to stay at my GF's at the weekend.
We'd decided to buy a house, and so I came to the end of my contract on the house I was letting in Humberside, and decided that rather than sign up for another few months, I'd pitch up my tent in a campsite near to my office while the all the technical details involved in house buying went through.
I was optimistic and it was summer at the time, but as a few technical issues slowed the process, I ended up spending 4 nights a week for 6 months in my tent until eventually contracts were exchanged.

Summer changed to Autumn and then to Winter.

Most nights it wasn't too bad, but when it got down to minus six and I had to unstick frozen tent zips, I knew it was a bit parky.
I can look back now and to be honest it wasn't too bad. The worst thing was getting into or out of my sleeping bag.

Now I'm in my house and I've definately softened up a bit. It even feels cold in my lounge...

when i do cycling lessons here in gorleston.....the kids come out in just their shirts...they are a mad lot.thankfully thanks to h&s were not allowed to ride when its wet..heheheheheh....so if it rains or owt else like it i have to cancell and spend the few hours waiting for thenext one in the staff room drinking coffee and eating biccies.......or if im in yarmouth its starbucks of course.during the summer is fab cos i sit on the beach waiting for the lessons to begin or itake me bike with me and ride around in the countrside a bit.end of summer i have a great tan.mind you i hd spent years on building sites gettingfrikkin frozen at seven in the morning.....brrr...so it starts nice then getscrap and back again...

Attachments

• gibble peg.jpg
    gibble peg.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 637
  • gibble peg (2).jpg
    gibble peg (2).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 637
  • gibble peg (3).jpg
    gibble peg (3).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 637
  • gibble peg (4).jpg
    gibble peg (4).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 637
Today in Fairfax it's 66 F. (about 19 C.), but it is getting down to the low 40's at night-still clear, with good riding weather this week!

dyna-ti":1tseonxg said:
Time for a weekend camping trip :D
Anyone up for it?.Me and a mate are planning a trip the the end of Glen Etive road/campsite at some time in the next few weeks.
It's about the most windswept place we can find and at this time of the year should be bloody freezing. :twisted:
Double sleeping bags and a bottle of rum and youre sorted.

Bring a bike only if you want hypothermia ;)

Just maybe :p depending on work/xmas shopping/other committments...........what's the plan?

cold out? well did two laps of the forest tonight, first lap there were puddles that went splash as I rode through them, second lap they cracked as I rode through them! so yes its getting cold out :( but the good news on that fact is that I'll soon have the forest to myself again :LOL: the thick mud and the cold keep the chavs away :) only us hard core idiots frequent the forest when it gets real bad
tonight it was just me three deer, an owl, several mice and a toad! that hopped into my light beam!

then it is cold when you can no longer pee outdoors, without freezing of the urine :cool:

Shamus":2chx2cyc said:
then it is cold when you can no longer pee outdoors, without freezing of the urine :cool:

Yes but you live in Finland which is cheating - in the UK when we get an eatserly, its straight from the bloody Urals via a damp North Sea which adds moisture and makes it ******* chilly! (this will be our weather next week BTW)

Back