But why a Retro Bike?...

Trouble with this argument is that some of you real retro lot consider my "retro" bikes modern :LOL:

Although some of the bikes posted on here make me smile and for a split second yes I do want them :D I don't think I could go back to riding something as early as some of you do :shock:

IMHO I don't think it gets much better than a nice steel hardtail from the late 90s with 8 speed XTR :)

I've ridden a few high end modern full suspension bikes and nobody can seriously argue that their not VERY good at what they do including climbing, I've just never looked at one at thought I'd really like one of those :?

I did come very close to getting an Extralight BITD but the clattering from the back end got on my nerves :?

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find a modern bike I liked, but I'm pretty sure it would be a high end steel hardtail and I'd spend all my time thinking the front end was too high :LOL:

Jones":1spukkbh said:
I've ridden a few high end modern full suspension bikes and nobody can seriously argue that their not VERY good at what they do including climbing, I've just never looked at one at thought I'd really like one of those :?

:

I'd agree with that. most modern FS bikes DO look like sh,te! :LOL:

See another good thing with the retro build is because you generally buy parts and build it yourself you can sneak stuff through without the other half spotting it, therefore saving a right old ear bashing on the virtues of wasting cash :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jones":288o6g4x said:
Trouble with this argument is that some of you real retro lot consider my "retro" bikes modern :LOL:

if we are talking close to the retro line, my main ride is bordering on neuveau riche compared to the 'old money' of most of you lot's...ha ha... :LOL:

Oh! I forgot a very important factor.

Riding a 15 year old bike is always a great excuse for being last up the hill and a brilliant way to rub someones nose in it if you happen to be first up the hill! :LOL:

Stick Legs":1a4uegcg said:
Oh! I forgot a very important factor.

Riding a 15 year old bike is always a great excuse for being last up the hill and a brilliant way to rub someones nose in it if you happen to be first up the hill! :LOL:

There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of being first up the hill ( even if it doesn't happen often ) on a steel, fancy chrome lugged Tomassini when your surrounded by carbon fibre exotica :LOL:

Jones":1bhqwmd1 said:
There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of being first up the hill ( even if it doesn't happen often ) on a steel, fancy chrome lugged Tomassini when your surrounded by carbon fibre exotica :LOL:

Look at Jeffy's efforts in the Mayhem 07 galeries...first to the bikes and not far off first round the 1st lap on a 15yr old Overbury's! That p*ssed on some S Works fireworks I can tell you.

:LOL:

Re: Thinking skills....

scant":2ouqx6cb said:
Elev12k":2ouqx6cb said:
scant":2ouqx6cb said:
mrkawasaki":2ouqx6cb said:
the day they bring in a rigid class for World Cup downhill I will raise a glass - maybe there's an idea for a Retrobike race series...???!

Neil

people clearing 30ft gap jumps on fully rigid retrobikes! :shock: :LOL: now that I gotta see! :LOL: ;)

so in essence the people don't, the bikes do

:LOL: yeh right, how many bikes have you seen ride themselves? ;)
shame you're not in s.wales, then I can take you to a 30ft gap jump, loan you a DH bike & with you astride "let the bike clear the jump" all on its "magic" own with zero input from you ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

sorry, in s silly mood today ;)

the 'spectacular' 30ft drops do not require aditionals skills or additional input of any kind over 'less spectacular' drops on a rigid

..probably even less

I use '' , as the use of suspension does effect the experience. Moreover laying own skills in achieving things probably results in a more satisfying experience.

Elev12k":2zfns1ps said:
scant":2zfns1ps said:
Elev12k":2zfns1ps said:
scant":2zfns1ps said:
mrkawasaki":2zfns1ps said:
the day they bring in a rigid class for World Cup downhill I will raise a glass - maybe there's an idea for a Retrobike race series...???!

Neil

people clearing 30ft gap jumps on fully rigid retrobikes! :shock: :LOL: now that I gotta see! :LOL: ;)

shame you're not in s.wales, then I can take you to a 30ft gap jump, loan you a DH bike & with you astride "let the bike clear the jump" all on its "magic" own with zero input from you ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the 'spectacular' 30ft drops do not require aditionals skills or additional input of any kind over 'less spectacular' drops on a rigid

..probably even less

I use '' , as the use of suspension does effect the experience. Moreover laying own skills in achieving things probably results in a more satisfying experience.

probabily :LOL: ? so you've pulled 30ft air? :LOL: dude, takes waaaay MORE skill. if bigger air was as easy we'd all be doing it ;)

maybe I should just refer to you
"the retro Vs modern thread comes up fairly often & people never agree!
agree to disagree me thinks" ;)

scant":1ei28na9 said:
Elev12k":1ei28na9 said:
Elev12k":1ei28na9 said:
mrkawasaki":1ei28na9 said:

Neil

..probably even less

probabily :LOL: ? so you've pulled 30ft air? :LOL: dude, takes waaaay MORE skill. if bigger air was as easy we'd all be doing it ;)

Yes, I have all done that! ...and that was what I experienced. Why all the " :LOL: ;) " about that?

Btw what is a ft?

Back