Give 3 Examples. Why Retrobikes are awesome

Dave_Mars

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Imagine this:

You have a friend or acquaintance who has recently started riding MTB. They have no idea of the 80s/90/00s era. Maybe they are too young, or maybe they spent their formative years engaged in more noble pursuits.

Which 3 examples of bikes (or components) would you show them? Not to epitomise Retrobikes per se… But rather to educate / elucidate on just why you think Retrobikes are awesome? Convince them.

My picks:

1. Mountain goat whisky town racer.

Why? Amazing paint-jobs, beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail. Mountain bikes weren’t always so serious!

2. Pace RC100

Why? Iconic, Square tubing, proof that a tiny startup in Yorkshire could excite a California-centric industry,

3. USE S.U.B fork

Why? To show that some of the best ideas were not developed as well as they should have been. And that anti-dive forks don’t need to be the gaudy monstrosities you wince at today

Attachments

• IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5968.jpeg
    IMG_5968.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5967.jpeg
    IMG_5967.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 32
Those USE forks are ugly!
Ugly, yet too cool IMO & nothing like as ugly as the monotonous fleet of satin black/grey out there now (not just the forks either, the whole bike from stem to stern seems to have evolved into an amorphous dark blob compared to the shapes & colours on the trails 30 years ago)

Breezer 1 - A first purpose built mtb

Gazelle Off-the-Road - first mtb made in NL (1984)

Salsa Fargo - Off road becoming more than just that, combining with touring and travel

Last edited:
Because each bike covers a different area of mountain biking, construction, and materials.
My different style 3 would be

1. GT STS DH
GT STSDH.jpg

2. Fisher CR-7
CR7 J.jpg

3. The Bike Beat (Ellison) Revolution
Revolution 13a (1).jpg

All of my bikes, because they're better than most posted above and to show them what nice bikes RetroBikes are in general

A proper Trek 9500, nuff said.
Absolutely perfect in every RetroBike way, preferable with some fragile brakes, cranks, half a bodged disc* on some MAGs or XCs at the front only.

Some other bike, mid-low range BOSS/Townsend/Raleigh cheapo grow into it/Kona HH-FM/... with a 'disc wheel' trying to be a Sugino/Tioga disc, bonus points for pawprints.

---
*don't need this, I just want one myself.

Latest posts

Back