built a bike

Re:

I visit the Highlands every couple of years and have no issues........ possibly because I'm there in June. :mrgreen:

I winter ride using Ass Savers on all my bikes which keep the worst of the erm bovine and other agricultural waste off of me. I wouldn't want to be following me though.

I'm in the Glasgow area though. It's wet here all the time.

I went out sans mudguards on Sunday on loud Cougar... A wet and gritty arse duly arrived shortly after I got halfway round.

Took the last of the grey anodising off my Archetypes too.

I never pay attention to where my brake levers should go I always put them where they fit me best as I usually like to ride on the hoods they do tend to be a little higher up.

If I go out on a club run they do like to see some mud guard on the wet days and I now have that F'light for the sunny ones so I'm happy all round. I think it means I will have to cull the flock as I can see a few not getting ridden anymore.

Audax UK used to list mudguards as compulsory kit. In the wet, riding in any sort of group with even one or two riders without them is not nice.

Re:

I have mudguards on my Genesis, factory fitted and the rattle a lot. I tried some on my KTM winter / carbon bike; the back was great but I could not get the clearance under the brake on the front, so on similar roads to the ones you describe Ken, I was soon scritch, scritch scritching along.

My daughter rides with a local club and they all seem to manage somehow, maybe I'll try again when I build up my winter steel bike (Rourke) in the autumn. I wouldn't want to be unsociable now, would I.

As for levers, I have found that I prefer Shimano lever higher up the bars than SRAM, it must be something to do with the shape.

The mudguard clearance is down to the bracket on the front I find I have to elongate the brake pivot slot then bend it over to avoid clashes with the lower crown race. give me an extra 5-8 mm clearance no scritch scritch for me could never live with it :cool:

Latest posts

Back