building your own wheels

have to change the tyres first ....tried to get some the other day but the ones i wanted were gone so i may take me ircs off the barracuda on thursday......just fitted cycle rack and will be tyesting bike out on thursday morning as ive got a group for off road in playground so i can take bike then....

The Nobel art of the Wheelsmith
I've always wanted to learn to build and true wheels,but I feel though that id need someone to show me how rather than try and learn from a book
I envy those of you that have such skills

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op runs one day wheelbuilding courses at its shop in Bruntsfield. Apparently it's the only such course in the country (unless someone knows otherwise?); folk had travelled from as far as Inverness and Preston for that reason.

Gave a pretty good intro to wheelbuilding and some neat practical tips, although I didn't learn any theoretical info that I hadn't already got from Sheldon Brown. The most valuable part was being able to experiment on someone else's parts then walk away at the end of it.

I feel pretty confident I could build a sound pair of wheels (just waiting for the right project), but if it all went wrong the LBS would true them for a few quid anyway.

but if it all went wrong the LBS would true them for a few quid anyway.

That is what I was planning to do. Build them up, should get the pattern right at least, if they are crap at least the shop has not had to lace them!

Back