boy"O"boy's 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Which colour scheme would you like to see this Stumpjumper in?

• 1. Keep it original 1990 white and red

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 2. 1989 Stumpjumper comp purple/white

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 3. 1988/89 Stumpjumper Team colours

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 4. 1990 Team jersey inspired colour scheme

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Less than I week to go now on the Voting! 15 votes already as to which direction this project will take.... that's more votes than the old BOTM 98> competition used to get some months!

Thank you to all those that have replied and submitted a vote.

The Jersey inspired scheme seems a favourite from the replies so far.... I've started to get some ideas together if that is the eventual winner? - Still time to Vote as to what you want to see. :D ;)

Spanky22b":sc0qnl5v said:
Think i'll follow this project after seeing my old 90 Stumpy Comp :D after a long think my vote eventually went to the 88/89 Team colours after looking at old photos of my 89 Team Stumpjumper. Also remember all the colours have a pearl effect in the paint the catalogue photos make them look normal, which in my opinion makes them look so good in the flesh.
Here's a couple of my old 89 Team Stumpjumper (really wish i never sold that :facepalm:) and my 88 Stumpjumper Comp.

Cheers Spanky.
Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like 3 of the colour options I could go for are/ have been in in your possession! Great picture for reference there as well as the '90 Stumpy Comp.... like you say, the Catalogue pics don't show the Pearl of the Grey.

G60MAT":sc0qnl5v said:
Great thread, some great scans too, keep em coming! ;)

I'd restomod the bike, retro but with a twist...

Cheers Mat. All ideas to bear in mind.
I've already got a stem, specialized bar, and a specialized BX23 wheelset. Shimano XT M732/M735 is most likely the build direction....but haven't thought through all the details yet.

boy"O"boy

Re:

I’m just going to leave this here for you for (even more) inspiration...

Not that I’m trying to swing the vote or anything like that... :p :LOL:

Attachments

• B766E32A-7B39-4083-9A07-4AC3DE8E21C0.jpeg
    B766E32A-7B39-4083-9A07-4AC3DE8E21C0.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 445
Re: boy"O"boy's 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Loving this thread.

I voted 89.. because I’m a retro purist at heart. And the 90” you have is Prestige, where the comp colours, that model wasn’t prestige.

I’ve got a 92 S-works stumpy frame that I want to do the exact same to ! I have a full m730 Xt group set, Spesh rims on xt hubs etc to bolt to it. Still trying to finish my 94 Kilauea first !

Btw
That MBUK scan, do you have the mag? PLEASE I’d love to see the Ridgeback reviews in there, eps the 602lx if so.. mines still in the loft!

Looking forward to whatever you do with the Stumpa !

Star12":1mhims7j said:
I’m just going to leave this here for you for (even more) inspiration...

Not that I’m trying to swing the vote or anything like that... :p :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: Just waiting for the postal votes now! :LOL: :LOL:

xeo":1mhims7j said:
Loving this thread.

I voted 89.. because I’m a retro purist at heart. And the 90” you have is Prestige, where the comp colours, that model wasn’t prestige.

I’ve got a 92 S-works stumpy frame that I want to do the exact same to ! I have a full m730 Xt group set, Spesh rims on xt hubs etc to bolt to it. Still trying to finish my 94 Kilauea first !

Btw
That MBUK scan, do you have the mag? PLEASE I’d love to see the Ridgeback reviews in there, eps the 602lx if so.. mines still in the loft!

Looking forward to whatever you do with the Stumpa !

Thanks xeo! Thanks for the vote. Sounds like we could have similar projects on the go once the Kona's done.

As for the MBUK scan.... Already done it! Placed it over year in the catalogue and magazine scans.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=370228&start=10

Big Fan of Ridgebacks and everything from that Freewheel / Madison Catalogue era. :cool:

cheers.
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":2z4tcy42 said:

Isn’t that cheating?

Stop the vote!!!!

Erm...no wait....

Count the vote!!!!

Stop the count!!!

Vote the vote!!!!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Peachy!":2flb2cjt said:
boy"O"boy":2flb2cjt said:

Isn’t that cheating?

Stop the vote!!!!

Erm...no wait....

Count the vote!!!!

Stop the count!!!

Vote the vote!!!!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Been busy with work so only tuned in today to see the result!

Thank you to all those that voted. 20 votes was a good turn out!

Now there's a surprise :shock: :shock: ...... I thought the '90 team jersey inspired colour scheme was going to take the win judging from the comments that had been posted.
I'd even got myself prepared with a couple of (rough) sketch proposals should the jersey come out on top! :facepalm:

So. The people have voted.

Original colours it is then! - That should be fairly easy to achieve. Might have some pearlescent added to the white though, just to give it a bit of a lift. The current white looks quite 'flat' if you know what I mean?
Components wise..... I'm edging towards a Deore DX build now, mainly because the wheelset is on some nice DX hubs on Specialized BX23 dark anno wheels. I've got more DX components than XT too!! :LOL: :LOL:

Here's those proposals I'd done for the team jersey inspired colours....Inspiration for all those that voted for that colour scheme ;)

Let the paint stripping begin!

Cheers all.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• stumpjumper colourway2.jpg
    stumpjumper colourway2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 362
  • stumpjumper colourway1.jpg
    stumpjumper colourway1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 362

Option 2....

The “original” voters must have been fraudulent, or voted from the grave... or... or... :facepalm: :LOL:

Peachy!":1nry6fpq said:
Personally I'd go for having some fun and doing your own thing... That might seem strange coming from a Catalogue correct freak like me, but the museums are full of wallhanging SJ's
I only get a freak on with my CB's because no one else cares! :facepalm:
I concur, Gold with Black decals. :cool: WOOF WOOF!!!

Re:

You didn't have a vote option for leave white, in rough with no decals :?
Here's mine. Very rough. Love this bike. :cool: Ride it everywhere.

https://ibb.co/BLn7bVb

stumpy-1-finshed.jpg

Re:

Well that sucks... :x

The vote was stolen! I refuse to accept it...

Option 4 - Team Jersey inspired colours is the clear winner!! I look forward to seeing the build! ;)

Star12

Back