Votes: 9 5.5%
  • wtb_rider’s 1992 Ibis SS

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My_Teenage_Self":6r3pa5av said:
The biggest question really is why so few people vote?
Could be any of a number of reasons: maybe it's simply not as important to as many people as others may think; maybe there's not the same degree of resonance*; maybe many join on the basis of being able to buy or sell something, but aren't really interested in participating in the forum.

*on the subject of the resonance thing... BITD, when I was young(er) I rode decent, bikes, that never let me down, as did all the people I rode with. I was late teens to early 20s, I didn't really obsess about exotica or have moody posters of high-end bikes on my bedroom wall - by that point I was a bit past that - and the people I rode with tended to be a fair bit older than me. So uber-rare or expensive bikes didn't mean anything to me then, nor now. It wasn't all about - well if I'd been older or had more money, I'd have been able to buy the bike of my dreams - believe me, I wasn't dreaming about bikes - so they really don't mean that much to me.

They may be very nice and all, and I have nothing whatsoever against them, or people being interested in them - what I reject, though, is the notion - almost presented as axiom - in terms of why be interested in mundane stuff, when you could be interested in top end stuff - and the answer is, my only real interest in old bikes, is the memories, the nostalgia, the taking me back to my happier, free-er times - not a revisionist look back at those times, with a "look at what you could have won..." mindset.

And perhaps for many that were a little younger, BITD, perhaps it was all a bit more aspirational - but maybe if you'd already moved on a little from that, it wouldn't all be about unaffordable or unrequited love for some exotic bike from BITD, but for some, is perhaps merely about what they enjoyed back then, and still want to enjoy now.

In much the same way as there is for things like classic cars - they weren't all great, high-end cars.

I think there's room for all comers. Problem being is, that I think many seem to see their way as the only true way, and give the impression that whatever their perspective should be, should be prevalent here.

Neil":ktd2526l said:
My_Teenage_Self":ktd2526l said:
The biggest question really is why so few people vote?
Could be any of a number of reasons: maybe it's simply not as important to as many people as others may think; maybe there's not the same degree of resonance*; maybe many join on the basis of being able to buy or sell something, but aren't really interested in participating in the forum.

*on the subject of the resonance thing... BITD, when I was young(er) I rode decent, bikes, that never let me down, as did all the people I rode with. I was late teens to early 20s, I didn't really obsess about exotica or have moody posters of high-end bikes on my bedroom wall - by that point I was a bit past that - and the people I rode with tended to be a fair bit older than me. So uber-rare or expensive bikes didn't mean anything to me then, nor now. It wasn't all about - well if I'd been older or had more money, I'd have been able to buy the bike of my dreams - believe me, I wasn't dreaming about bikes - so they really don't mean that much to me.

They may be very nice and all, and I have nothing whatsoever against them, or people being interested in them - what I reject, though, is the notion - almost presented as axiom - in terms of why be interested in mundane stuff, when you could be interested in top end stuff - and the answer is, my only real interest in old bikes, is the memories, the nostalgia, the taking me back to my happier, free-er times - not a revisionist look back at those times, with a "look at what you could have won..." mindset.

And perhaps for many that were a little younger, BITD, perhaps it was all a bit more aspirational - but maybe if you'd already moved on a little from that, it wouldn't all be about unaffordable or unrequited love for some exotic bike from BITD, but for some, is perhaps merely about what they enjoyed back then, and still want to enjoy now.

In much the same way as there is for things like classic cars - they weren't all great, high-end cars.

I think there's room for all comers. Problem being is, that I think many seem to see their way as the only true way, and give the impression that whatever their perspective should be, should be prevalent here.

Move over Sinnerman ....Neils a coming :LOL:

Neil":1ohe7gm6 said:

Absolutely!

I don't vote some months and usually that's because I cant decide on a clear winner. My personal criteria changes month on month. Sometimes I vote because it was a bike I lusted after BITD but could never have come close to affording. Sometimes it could be based on a build thread, a back story, the photo, whatever. I didn't vote for the Falcon but I can completely understand why many did. It was a contender for me.

Nostalgia is the big thing (for me). Every now and again someone posts a photo of a bike or a scan of an old magazine or manufacturers catalogue and it hits me. I get that exact same feeling that I got all those years ago when I saw the bike (or opened the magazine) for the very first time. It feels like going back in time and is hard to explain. If a BotM entry gives me that feeling then it will get my vote, regardless of the competition.

I don't judge people on what they vote for and don't get disappointed if my choice fails to win. Each to their own I say.

Re:

I do find it annoying that if I say anything then I am imposing my will on everyone ...please grow up you have a mind to decide that for yourselves it is just an opinion and the debate has been rich and worth it.
It's a retro website and it is moving away from my retro not in the years it spans but in it's geography. If I had read MBA in WH Smiths instead of buying Mountain Biker UK and working in a bike shop building and selling Marins Konas Breezers GTs Raleighs Yetis and Emelles I would be more open minded I guess. I collect Rocky Mountain bikes as I envied the guys I raced against who rode them they were my aspiration which I now indulge.
Maybe you simply vote for rarity or pretty bikes but I think it must be rooted in your Retro the reasoning that guides you....and maybe the votes are from the US and this is their Retro ? If so great it's not just a UK site anymore and is moving away from any relevance for me.
No problem just don't try and claim I am imposing my will...God forbid freedom of speech and diversity should be entertaining not seen as a threat. XXX

Re: Re:

WOW what a conversation! :shock:

Wherever these bikes come from, they are and remain only soulless metal! ...but we love all the same :D

How dare you!

I hope you were out of earshot. They will be hurt. Just spent a couple if hours with mine. We're all happier now.

Re:

Careful careless talk costs lives
Rule no1 we are not allowed to question Californial Bike of the month Lol

I obviously do care or I wouldnt mention it but pulling the other thread because its impossible to debate sounds like an extreme measure to me
I have entered a few now and didnt expect to win so no hard feelings here
Maybe our cousins have the upper hand and should take over the site altogether ?
I realise I should just shut up and get back to my sad life as a racist midget but I cant help myself.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back