• wtb_rider’s 1992 Ibis SS

Votes: 12 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

makster":29wsivly said:
I voted for the Falcon, mainly because I know it gets ridden and enjoyed, but I would love to own that Otis.
I had never heard of Otis Guy until I joined this site.
The thing I love most about this place is that every day is a school day.
My horizons have been expanded ten-fold with what I've seen on here, and long may it continue.
Would you seriously prefer this to be a site full of mid range Saracens, Specialized and Konas?
BoTM is a rediculously hard thing to win now. I struck VERY lucky when I won...with a mass produced, made in Tawain, bike.
My win was at least 60% down to the fact I bothered to take decent pics of it, but it wouldn't get a vote now.
BoTM is supposed to be the best you can offer, presented in the best way you can.
I really don't see the issue?

I agree with most of this, but I can see where captain cosmic is coming from. Every BoTM recently has seen a host of people enter proper exotica, most of which has never graced the muddy shores of the UK. Now I also love to see these bikes. I really do, but just as with anything else, if it is the same old, same old all the time then it gets a bit boring, even if it is exotica. And that is where BoTM seems to be right now. I suppose even if you could have caviar and champagne every night eventually you would end up hankering for a pie and a pint! :LOL:

Re:

Well, the one I voted for came second. So what?
It's still the bike I'd most like to ride given the chance. Take note Gravy Monster! :LOL: :LOL:
My voting, as always is chosen with that in mind. Along with it being a bike pictured in the woods where it belongs, having been ridden. Muddy or dusty, makes no odds to me. I do not want to criticise anyone in particular, seriously, but an mtb photographed in a studio feels- to me at least - to be missing something. I know it's easier to see the spec in a studio, but my opinion, which is all mine, yes it is, is still valid. To me.

Captaincosmic, you could always sneak over to the, gulp, road section :oops: . I won't tell anyone. Plenty of British bikes win those competitions

Mike

Usually the arguments start as the bike are listed.

Just goes to show that even without the bikes some still find something to be unhappy about.

Me on the other hand............

firedfromthecircus":uugn12p8 said:
makster":uugn12p8 said:
I voted for the Falcon, mainly because I know it gets ridden and enjoyed, but I would love to own that Otis.
I had never heard of Otis Guy until I joined this site.
The thing I love most about this place is that every day is a school day.
My horizons have been expanded ten-fold with what I've seen on here, and long may it continue.
Would you seriously prefer this to be a site full of mid range Saracens, Specialized and Konas?
BoTM is a rediculously hard thing to win now. I struck VERY lucky when I won...with a mass produced, made in Tawain, bike.
My win was at least 60% down to the fact I bothered to take decent pics of it, but it wouldn't get a vote now.
BoTM is supposed to be the best you can offer, presented in the best way you can.
I really don't see the issue?

I agree with most of this, but I can see where captain cosmic is coming from. Every BoTM recently has seen a host of people enter proper exotica, most of which has never graced the muddy shores of the UK. Now I also love to see these bikes. I really do, but just as with anything else, if it is the same old, same old all the time then it gets a bit boring, even if it is exotica. And that is where BoTM seems to be right now. I suppose even if you could have caviar and champagne every night eventually you would end up hankering for a pie and a pint! :LOL:

And this is the beauty of it...we all get to place our votes on the one we like best.
The real issue with BoTM is why do so few of the people who browse this forum vote each month?

makster":3ahi300t said:
And this is the beauty of it...we all get to place our votes on the one we like best.
The real issue with BoTM is why do so few of the people who browse this forum vote each month?
It certainly is a question to ponder - what with it seemingly being of such importance. Perhaps only those that it's important for, vote...

For myself, I vote for the bike I like best, always have done, always will. I really couldn't care less if it wins. If it does, or does better than expected it's nice, but wouldn't change anything for me. Some months I don't vote - and here's the thing - when I don't vote, it's because I don't feel anything for the bikes in the poll.

Elitism is all well and good, but if it only has real appeal to a fairly small proportion, then perhaps it's overplayed.

On the months when I don't vote, and find anything I'm interested in, it doesn't irk me, I'm not about to complain about that - just because I may not find something that interests me, doesn't mean I think that's what others should see.

Much of these arguments on BOTM come from hubris that the views of individuals, are what they'd like to foist as the blueprint on the forum. And in fairness, there's hints of that in both / all sides of the debate.

The one thing I would say, from my own perspective, is that I took some pleasure in seeing how well Gravy Monster's Falcon did in the last poll.

Interesting.

I came dead last. I entered a plastic Trek. Last place was no surprise!

I loves my bikes, but I'm under no illusion that they're very much to my taste. If I wanted to build a bike to win BOTM, I honestly think I'd loose interest before I finished it, as the 'winners' don't interest me.

FWIW, I've never voted for a winner, and not on purpose either. The biggest question really is why so few people vote?

November the 21st and no BoTM. Ah.

We'll kick off the nominations for December after the weekend and aim for a bumper month!

Neil":5l8hg1ct said:
Elitism is all well and good, but if it only has real appeal to a fairly small proportion, then perhaps it's overplayed.

Much of these arguments on BOTM come from hubris that the views of individuals, are what they'd like to foist as the blueprint on the forum. And in fairness, there's hints of that in both / all sides of the debate.

someone earlier on quoted that this site is like being at school i.e an education.. well its not like any school I went to be educated :D

hubris and foist in one sentance ...... I had to get the kids dictionary out :shock:

Hubris means extreme pride or self-confidence. When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished.

Foist to impose an unwelcome or unnecessary person or thing on.

too highbrow for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back