Bob Jackson World Tour

Re:

I must admit, I really like what you have done here. I am a big touring bike enthusiast ( at one point I owned 4 Raleigh Randonneurs) and think you have a good mix of retro and modern. As much as I love period stuff, for touring, it just isn't practical sometimes. Nice job.

Re:

mike - you are giving me bad ideas ! :LOL:

i just digged out this frame out of my stash and will probably have it widened to 130mm at the back , and convert it to a 650b all rounder with modern 8 speed hubs and ultegra 8 speed bar cons - ultegra or dura ace on 650 grand bois rims - but leave some vintage stuff such as crane long cage, dura ace centerpulls, SR triple crankset :idea:
I have everything but the rims !
I know its against the rules :mrgreen: but alas - I actually don't think the geometry is going to be altered a lot :?:

ksvb5368":216r017x said:
Interesting frame. What is it?

french one - 531 but only three tubes - hence the planned sinful frame modification - chromed
it is not sure but possibly a Lejeune which was a make which did some decent frames at a time.
I confess I have a soft spot for full chrome frames - possibly because they can age well unlike a paint.
In the same vein I have a very nice Excell Alain Michel from the 90's and a superb Roger Roche Cromovelato from the 70's - 2 small framemakers who did some very nice stuff but whose fame probably did not cross the channel ;)

By the way Mike, your GB bars are vintage ? aren't they ?

Blackbike":1arnwxvs said:
This is my do it all light touring/audax bike, first ride was today :D . Smooth like butter!!! This is the replacement for my Raleigh whose frame was cracking at the bottom bracket, this bike incorporates the better parts from the Raleigh, and my favorite parts from everywhere else. Though most of it is new, I guess it's vintage (ish) or at least it feels that way to me... Bar tape and mud guards to follow.

: Mike

I like, a lot. A nice mix of the old-ish and new-er, Restomod perhaps ? Nice paint, nice bars (I have several pairs of GBs).

I'm not sure about the triple chainset or the rear mech, but if it suits your terrain that's what it's all about - form and function. My Allin will be receiving a similar treatment over the coming couple of months.

Jon.

Hi Mike
A beautiful Bob Jackson for sure. :)
I really like this build and like Jon says, a good mix of old and new. The look sits fine with me, very fine actually. Is the tubing standard or oversize 631, looks standard on my screen but I know they do both, and from memory the oversize is standard?
I am a firm believer in using the components that suite yourself and where you ride. Fine if its a wall hanger or such but if its a rider then it should be as comfortable and usable as you can make it. That's just my opinion though and I also believe each to his own.
Ride and enjoy many happy miles.

Jamie

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1mcmkxe8 said:
Hi Mike
A beautiful Bob Jackson for sure. :)
I really like this build and like Jon says, a good mix of old and new. The look sits fine with me, very fine actually. Is the tubing standard or oversize 631, looks standard on my screen but I know they do both, and from memory the oversize is standard?
I am a firm believer in using the components that suite yourself and where you ride. Fine if its a wall hanger or such but if its a rider then it should be as comfortable and usable as you can make it. That's just my opinion though and I also believe each to his own.
Ride and enjoy many happy miles.

Jamie

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
This one is standard 631 tubing, I had the choice of OS tubing but went with standard tubing figuring it would ride better as light touring or rail touring with a Carradice Barley is all the load it will ever see.
I have about 50 miles on it, so far it's comfortable, goes where it's pointed, stays on its line, climbs well, and is my favorite bike in the world right now :D .
: Mike

Re: Re:

ksvb5368":3do50frp said:
I must admit, I really like what you have done here. I am a big touring bike enthusiast ( at one point I owned 4 Raleigh Randonneurs) and think you have a good mix of retro and modern. As much as I love period stuff, for touring, it just isn't practical sometimes. Nice job.

I am also a big fan of Raleigh, the Randonneur is a very rare model in the states but I have always admired them and the Raleigh Randonneur served as some of the inspiration for my build along with the 1950's RRA.

roadking":2zyuvey0 said:
I like, a lot. A nice mix of the old-ish and new-er, Restomod perhaps ? Nice paint, nice bars (I have several pairs of GBs).

I'm not sure about the triple chainset or the rear mech, but if it suits your terrain that's what it's all about - form and function. My Allin will be receiving a similar treatment over the coming couple of months.

Jon.

Hi Jon.
I'm looking forward to seeing your Allin, and thanks for the compliments. I agree it's a restomod, but at the time I was planning the build I was thinking about "what do I need and want to ride for the next 10 years" as I turn 60 next year :shock: . I think I let the beauty of the past color a lot of my component choices as some of the modern parts hurt my eyes, and I will confess that the TRP brakes are vastly ugly :roll: but work very well.

Best Wishes: Mike

Latest posts

Back