Bling'd Claud Butler Cape Wrath

Crantinope":24h2c29g said:
Very nice bike Cool

I have an old Cape Wrath myself from about 1988, not sure wether to restore or ebay it.

Nige.

My 1st bike was an 88/89 Cape Wrath, Black with XT throughout. Driveside crank fell off after 3 weeks, sent it back and got an 88 Explosif instead :D . I have a pic somewhere, will post it up if I can find it.

Would like to see your pic if you can find it :cool:

Mine is also the Black XT version although I have replaced crankset & shifters with more modern Shimano bits & fitted Kore stem & Easton bars.

Don't know wether its worth restoring, upgrading or just to sell on, decisions, decisions :?

Heres my 88/89 Cape Wrath in need of much love & attention:
DSCF11791024x768.jpg

DSCF11831024x768.jpg

My vote would be one to restore to retro, get rid of the modern on it. Main reasoning behind that is that a bike with a chainstay mounted u-brake does not look right with fat modern kit on it, it needs skinny retro.

Carl.

Cape Wrath

I have the same model. I've had this since I was 16 (18 years ago) and bought the frame from my next door neighbour. It was resprayed purple (fashionable back then) and I have just restripped the frame ready for a rebuild.
It is in need of a respray again and I am thinking of going back to the original black.
Can you recall if yours had pink cable sleeves originally?
I'm doing this as a sentimental project as I have been all over Europe with this bike over the years.
The original stem had a pulley wheel with a hole in the middle of the stem for routing the front brake cable! Can't find one like that anywhere.
Also wish I'd kept all those Farmer John's and John's cousins back then. They'd be ideal for the rebuild.

Hi just finished a rapid semi retro of a slightly earlier cape wrath thought i could show it off a bit !
still not sure what year it is though?
cheers

Attachments

• small claud.jpg
    small claud.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,004
Back