Bling'd Claud Butler Cape Wrath

Very nice looking bike.
Don't get the :oops: by the D521's though. Apart from the slight weight disadvantage over XC rims, you'll never break them.
I had mine for 15 years and sold them when I bought my NOS D521CD's, which will last for ever as I'm using them with discs :D

Claud

I think that looks really nice, I remember they were easily mistaken for a Titanium frame, my only gripe would be to install a Black higher end seat post, bet its fairy rapid and fun to ride? What's in a name anyway? A lot are all made in the same factory anyways, never did Kona any harm!

My CB was bashed in another thread. I think it is one of the last bikes to be handbuilt in the UK (it is a '92/'93 model) and has a really nice Reynolds 653 lugged frame.

Carl.

Claud

653 steel lugged frame? Then folks worship Coke Can Kleins :? Klein were failing quickly as a company BITD, they were advised to double their prices, which they did, then they sold like hot cakes-- it's expensive and looks good, so it must be good!
It's all fair game to me, folks bash Butlers Raleigh and GT then are up in arms when Kleins (deservedly just dogs dressed as racehorses) get bashed!

Cool!

I had a 1991 something or other CB in Reynolds 531 with full 500LX - I was King!

Until someone came along with the model up and full DX :cry:

i like it, but im not british so thats apparently why i can get away with it

dont worry about the haters, if it rides well, and you like it, then thats the best judge ;)

I like it. I'm a Butler fan too. I have older lugged 531 Claude Butler and Geoffrey Butler road bikes. Neither are going to set the world on fire but they are very well put together.

Nice job of the build but please, the chain, the poor chain!

For free chain lube go to Mayhem and take every opportunity to clean your bike at the Muc of van and collect your free sample of chain lube every time you go. I now have enough to last me for years.

Thanks for the positive replies guys.

Even a comment on putting better quality stuff on it!

Just slapped the old chain on which was left in a baking tray in a damp room, its not the chain rusty, just some surface orange from the tray.

will give it a clean tonight!

i was embarresed about the rims because they are so heavy! I do want to get some lightweight rims on there!

its funny because people assume if you spend big money on a claud butler mountain bike that you know little about bikes.

I wanted to build a lightweight steel small trail bike. the frame cost 30 quid NOS.

I also hate the alu tosh they have been pushing out over the years, some of their bikes almost make me puke. But, I would have killed for one of the early nineties higher end bikes. there was no stigma to their name where I grew up around 90 to 95. this is they last decent steel frame they made, with the older font style graphics, before things went halfords.

Im fully aware of the brands history, and I know that this frame has no connection to it bar its name. but in its own right its as good as any Tange (insert respected mass produced brand here).

thanks for the interest, after the new wheels are built up its going for a final weigh in.

Back