Bling'd Claud Butler Cape Wrath

Yep, it rode pretty well crud, looks very nice too. Just need to find some lightweight rims and i'll build up those M950 hubs you have for ya ;) it'll be ubber light then, quite light already though :D

i would really love to find a 91 cape wrath, oracle or sceptre. growing up so close to the factory there were a lot of them around back then. i used to have an oracle for a while. miss that bike[/quote]

I had a 'Spirit' in 'Pearlescent Aqua Marine' - it was a full 400LX Gruppo and was a lovely ride if a little heavy until some tealeaf nicked it. My sister still has her 91/92 Oracle (Purple) which I may get my hands on soon!

ovlov440":3uqumcsn said:
I had a 'Spirit' in 'Pearlescent Aqua Marine' - it was a full 400LX Gruppo and was a lovely ride if a little heavy until some tealeaf nicked it. My sister still has her 91/92 Oracle (Purple) which I may get my hands on soon!

"Tealeaf"?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I don't want to like this bike, merely from the fact it's a 'Claud Butler', I really don't want to like it..... but I do, it's a lovely, almost understated, build, looks great and I bet it rides damned well too.

As a lover of nickel framed oranges, I think this looks ace.

My Dad was into older bikes, so I can appreciate the good heritage a true CB has.

Be proud, stunning bike :cool:

I do love the very early CB's, I had a CB back in 1990, turquoise 531 frame, straight blade Tange forks on it and Scott AT4's with flouro orange bartape and the trusty Rolls saddle all with a Deore LX groupo. I loved that bike more than anything. Rode beautifully and climbed like a raped goat. IIRC I had Tioga Farmer Johns on both ends lol

crud":3czxd0qz said:
Thanks for the positive replies guys.

Even a comment on putting better quality stuff on it!

Just slapped the old chain on which was left in a baking tray in a damp room, its not the chain rusty, just some surface orange from the tray.

will give it a clean tonight!

i was embarresed about the rims because they are so heavy! I do want to get some lightweight rims on there!

its funny because people assume if you spend big money on a claud butler mountain bike that you know little about bikes.

I wanted to build a lightweight steel small trail bike. the frame cost 30 quid NOS.

I also hate the alu tosh they have been pushing out over the years, some of their bikes almost make me puke. But, I would have killed for one of the early nineties higher end bikes. there was no stigma to their name where I grew up around 90 to 95. this is they last decent steel frame they made, with the older font style graphics, before things went halfords.

Im fully aware of the brands history, and I know that this frame has no connection to it bar its name. but in its own right its as good as any Tange (insert respected mass produced brand here).

thanks for the interest, after the new wheels are built up its going for a final weigh in.

Hey fella, liking this a lot. Looks really good. I am another on the anti-bike snobbery brigade. It seems a lot like saracen's, later stuff is pretty naff but it shouldn't detract from the earlier quality which is what your bike is.

Looks tidy, and as you say, you wanted a sprighty steel bike which is what you have. Would like to see it in the flesh!

Very nice bike :cool:

I have an old Cape Wrath myself from about 1988, not sure wether to restore or ebay it.

Nige.

Very nice bike Cool

I have an old Cape Wrath myself from about 1988, not sure wether to restore or ebay it.

Nige.

My 1st bike was an 88/89 Cape Wrath, Black with XT throughout. Driveside crank fell off after 3 weeks, sent it back and got an 88 Explosif instead :D . I have a pic somewhere, will post it up if I can find it.

Back