Blackening raw steel with beeswax. Anyone with experience?

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I’ve decided to go down the route of stripping and blackening a bike frame as I can’t be bothered to paint a bike frame and I don’t really want a silvery semi-shiny frame. Has anyone tried blackening a steel frame for a cooler look? Is it possible? Do you need an oven or could you just use a blowtorch?

Any info appreciated

I've oil blacked parts for years (same process as beeswax i beleive), it would be an absolute pain in the arse for an entire frame and you'd be getting it pretty warm to do it.

I've oil blacked parts for years (same process as beeswax i beleive), it would be an absolute pain in the arse for an entire frame and you'd be getting it pretty warm to do it.
I’ve stripped some parts of the frame it may be dark enough for my liking but yes I know it’ll probably be a pain

I make a lot of concoctions at work.. for ease of application, dissolve the beeswax in a solvent.. maybe start with white spirit if you need something off the shelf.. but something which evapourates easily would be my preference.. make a bain-marie with boiling water from the kettle, stick your beeswax in a jam jar with the solvent.. start with 10-1 ratio (10 being the solvent) stir till dissolved (you might need to replace the boiling water if it cools).. the microwave would also work but that's where i cook my porridge.
Paint or spray the solution on the frame, the solvent evapourates (a fan can help speed it up) leaving a thin, even layer of beeswax.. i've got no idea how long this will last.. i know beeswax takes a lot of upkeep but i use this method a lot for applying thin layers of wax.. double coat if required...

I make a lot of concoctions at work.. for ease of application, dissolve the beeswax in a solvent.. maybe start with white spirit if you need something off the shelf.. but something which evapourates easily would be my preference.. make a bain-marie with boiling water from the kettle, stick your beeswax in a jam jar with the solvent.. start with 10-1 ratio (10 being the solvent) stir till dissolved (you might need to replace the boiling water if it cools).. the microwave would also work but that's where i cook my porridge.
Paint or spray the solution on the frame, the solvent evapourates (a fan can help speed it up) leaving a thin, even layer of beeswax.. i've got no idea how long this will last.. i know beeswax takes a lot of upkeep but i use this method a lot for applying thin layers of wax.. double coat if required...
That's how I make my beeswax for furniture finishing. Normally with spirit or IPA. I usually go a bit thicker and apply with a cloth.

BITD my old bike shop used to build frames. Before painting they "bonderized" with phosphate. Maybe, an alternative as would be Parkerising?

Back