Todays pick-up. 1991 Diamondback Topanga *low use condition*

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
IMG_2492.jpeg
Just collected this lovely thing this morning. Condition was grubby but very obviously low mileage. Only 15mins from home and very cheap, luckily at 19” it’s my size too. I love these old DB’s, such pretty bikes and the steel frames seem to ride much nicer than other brands of similar age.
IMG_2496.jpeg IMG_2497.jpeg IMG_2498.jpeg
So far I’ve cleaned it, adjusted the seatpost and stem (1” quill!) and put air in the tyres. It’s crying out for new cables really but the 300lx gear on it still works without issue.
There’s a number of rusty spokes, that’ll need addressing and then a full strip and service should have this running mint.
Can’t believe how well the fluoro pink has stayed bright, there is a few scuffs and chips to the paint - probably from storage rather than use.
Can’t decide whether to upgrade this to DX spec when I rebuild it (I’ve got a complete group in my spares) or keep it as it is?
What would you do?
Thanks folks. :)

View attachment 785621
Just collected this lovely thing this morning. Condition was grubby but very obviously low mileage. Only 15mins from home and very cheap, luckily at 19” it’s my size too. I love these old DB’s, such pretty bikes and the steel frames seem to ride much nicer than other brands of similar age.
View attachment 785623View attachment 785624View attachment 785625
So far I’ve cleaned it, adjusted the seatpost and stem (1” quill!) and put air in the tyres. It’s crying out for new cables really but the 300lx gear on it still works without issue.
There’s a number of rusty spokes, that’ll need addressing and then a full strip and service should have this running mint.
Can’t believe how well the fluoro pink has stayed bright, there is a few scuffs and chips to the paint - probably from storage rather than use.
Can’t decide whether to upgrade this to DX spec when I rebuild it (I’ve got a complete group in my spares) or keep it as it is?
What would you do?
Thanks folks. :)
That is very nice, this era was great for good usable bikes.

Very nice👍 If it's a keeper nothing wrong with a sprinkling of DX
I think that’s what I’ve got to figure out - if it’s staying then it’s worth bolting some nice parts on.
Nice one, I'm a fan of this generation of DB's, have an Apex and an Axis Pro.
Thanks - yes me too. I had an Axis a few years back and this feels very similar to ride, despite the lesser spec. Really good period for DB, compared to Marins/Claud Butlers of the same period I’ve owned a nicer ride.

IMG_2502.jpeg
Dug out these Wolber AT-20/DX from my spares this morning, they’re the correct 130/100 spacing. I’ll give them a once over and try them on the bike to see how it looks with the black rims rather than silver.

130? Is the frame/std wheels not 135mm?

Nice Topanga btw, I too am fond of this era DB.
It definitely seems to be 130mm out back - here it is with the Wolbers fitted:
IMG_2510.jpeg
Could probably do with a black seat post but otherwise looking pretty good. Can’t decide whether to put the reflectors on the new wheels or get rid of the front and rear ones and have none?

Back