Bit of info would be nice.

Re: Re:

wookiee":lbqo8eb9 said:
A Marin always catches my eye! I have ridden one of these myself, albeit a mates. They are the more "All Mountain" rather than "XC" so are built more sturdy and weigh a bit more than the Marin Mount Vision etc XC range. Longer travel forks and rear will give it a plush feel downhill, just a bit more effort required to get it back up again!

Nice to see some effort but into the resto but I have to second the get rid of the "Bear Valley SE" decals, thats like putting a Ford Focus badge on a Land Rover! Sorry just a bit naff IMO! :D

Oh and keep those Hope brakes!!!

Doug

:LOL: To be honest im not a fan of that sticker either....it was the best i could do on short notice :roll:

Im sorting the brakes out very soon so will have a look at other sticker designs soon. Had a good ride out on this today....Only a trail ride so nothing extreme but yes i see what you mean about getting it back up again!!

K18 NOB":1havharr said:
wookiee":1havharr said:
A Marin always catches my eye! I have ridden one of these myself, albeit a mates. They are the more "All Mountain" rather than "XC" so are built more sturdy and weigh a bit more than the Marin Mount Vision etc XC range. Longer travel forks and rear will give it a plush feel downhill, just a bit more effort required to get it back up again!

Nice to see some effort but into the resto but I have to second the get rid of the "Bear Valley SE" decals, thats like putting a Ford Focus badge on a Land Rover! Sorry just a bit naff IMO! :D

Doug

:LOL: To be honest im not a fan of that sticker either....it was the best i could do on short notice :roll:

Im sorting the brakes out very soon so will have a look at other sticker designs soon. Had a good ride out on this today....Only a trail ride so nothing extreme but yes i see what you mean about getting it back up again!!

Was the difficultly on the up the bike bobbing? If so a rear shock with lockout will make it much easier. But from memory the bikes weight is about 31lbs....my 2008 Marin Rift Zone (same frame as the Mount Vision and more XC) was around 29lbs. My Santa Cruz 29er hardtail is a little over 23 lbs and has made me give up on full suss...for now!

wookiee":1mft0p3j said:
K18 NOB":1mft0p3j said:
wookiee":1mft0p3j said:

Doug

Was the difficultly on the up the bike bobbing? If so a rear shock with lockout will make it much easier. But from memory the bikes weight is about 31lbs....my 2008 Marin Rift Zone (same frame as the Mount Vision and more XC) was around 29lbs. My Santa Cruz 29er hardtail is a little over 23 lbs and has made me give up on full suss...for now!

The bobbing wasn't too bad, its set fairly stiff anyway as i dont do much which would require it to be anything but.

Its more that im used to pedaling a Carbon road bike which weighs in at around 21lbs up nice smooth tarmac hills so its a big difference. I used to have a nice hardtail a while back and it seemed to be awkward when getting into some of the harsher trails (this was back when i was racing them in Germany) so i sold that to buy a Full sus and now i have one i dont really need it......Life changes i guess.

Re:

Well true to CRC's style the service parts for the brakes arrived early today (i absolutely love how efficient they are)

Didnt have much time to play around so had a shot at the front brake as that was the main issue. So i stripped down the lever and caliper, didnt find anything wrong which was immediately obvious. The piston was in very good order and the seals didn't seem worn at all. It was very clean considering these brakes have probably never been serviced.

Once i removed the lid to the fluid reservoir though i noticed the rubber seal is very badly misshaped. Not sure what might have caused that but it could well have lead to a pressure/air/fluid leak so this could well have been the problem. You can see from the picture how oddly shaped it is.

Anyway, the front brake is now operational, slightly spongy still so im going to give it another bleed tomorrow to be sure all air is out but the pads are gripping and more importantly they are letting go which they weren't doing prior to this re-furb

Re:

sometimes the seal go a funny shape because the wrong fluid has been used, dot 4 or 5 is what's needed, mineral oil ruins the seals, even a small amount

jonnyboy666":2cmaz5m1 said:
also here's a vid from hope about bleeding brakes, i knew how to bleed brakes but this i found added a couple of little tips that i found made a difference to bleeding the brakes giving a more positive feel to the brake.

http://www.hopetech.com/how-to-videos/#

Cheers!

Nice video that, Didnt think about turning the lever upside down to remove any air pocketed in the piston.....Too used to bleeding car brakes. :roll:

I did give them a good bleed today and they are much more solid, Ill give that procedure a go though and see if it helps at all :D

Re:

yeah Nick (in the vid, the hope technician) has been working for hope for years, he used to be the race tech at alot of events around the country but is now mostly based at the factory, he's forgotten more than most will ever know about hope servicing and as a result he has alot of tips for improvements on servicing their stuff, top bloke he is.

:)

Back