Bikes you wish existed

ultrazenith":kqykefon said:
Lately I've found myself daydreaming about owning a bike that, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exist. It would be a carbon hard tail 29er, with V-brakes front and rear, and front suspension with remote lockout and v-brake mounts.

Does anyone else dream of a bike that doesn't (or can't) exist?

Why would you want V's when disc's are so good? Can't imagine it's for the look as V's have always been ugly compared to canti's.

Not sure what I'd want really. Maybe a carbon Orange 5 or steel 29er Clockwork.

brocklanders023":o0bx1vyn said:
Why would you want V's when disc's are so good? Can't imagine it's for the look as V's have always been ugly compared to canti's.

For simplicity and low cost, but I also find a good set of V-brakes give easily enough stopping power, except in the wet, in which case I'll be riding slower and more cautiously anyway.

Re:

Whoops -hit the submit button on my phone accidentally before I finished. Anyway, SRAM CX1 1x11 speed drivetrain with 11speed trigger shifters. Maybe Hope hubs and disc brakes laced to tubeless rims of some sort. Trying to incorporate some old skool values into a retro mod with the benefit of modern tech.

Re:

19" titanium weight (but steel flex) clockwork. Classic orange fade or slime green

Geometry corrected for 100mm travel & 1 1/8" headtube

X9 gearing (I know a lot don't like it but I prefer it to xt)

Early hope discs coupled to their own hubs and the old purple / orange fade mavics

Smoke & darts (for nostalgia rather than performance)

X-lite and control tec finishing kit (flat bar and stubby bar ends for me)

ultrazenith":1zgho1s4 said:
brocklanders023":1zgho1s4 said:

For simplicity and low cost, but I also find a good set of V-brakes give easily enough stopping power, except in the wet, in which case I'll be riding slower and more cautiously anyway.

I know what you mean but decent disc brakes can be had for £20 now, including rotor so they are low cost items. Disc pads last longer then brake blocks and discs last longer then rims. Win - win! :D

Brakes are one area of mountain biking that has seen genuine improvements over the years so well worth getting.

Latest posts

Back