Bikes at the dump.......

You lot are just miffed you don't get first pick!

Why not just get a waste carrier license and ring your local tip saying you will pay 60p a bike but you want a guarantee you will get ALL of them.

Rent a unit to sort them and see how far the odd team marin goes to pay the rent.......

Silly boy - the point that stuff got re-used and repurposed is completely lost on you

Its always been a 'closed shop' here in leeds. Ive never managed to snag a bike. Once got a bollocking for taking a crevice tool off a knackered dyson.
I got it on good authority that xyz contractors come for it all.
Could be from anywhere in the country! Nowt like looking after your constituents. 😉

Our local tip has a charity reuse shop next door, you can offer stuff to them or dump it at the tip.

The tip donates all bikes dumped to this chariity.....official response to my questioning them where the bikes go..

Oddly, the good ones don't seem to make it to the charity.

Ive made myself quite unpopular looking into this so far!

My Local tip are usually really good, one of the chaps there knows I build & I've ridden a few saves over when they've been finished. I've brought a few bits / bikes from there, even had some nice bits.

Well it sounds like that is what's happening in the places above with a charity buying the bikes.

Plus you could do that too!

Wow, a charity shop buying stock from a tip to re-sell? I understand charities need to be run akin to a business, but that sounds fooked up.

I've always intercepted stuff before it gets in the skip.... A nod between two householders ill take that if you like...!
Not got any bikes, but uPVC windows, timber etc....

Having read through this thread I feel pretty fortunate that my local tip has a re-use shop run by a local charity. There are generally 15-20 bikes for sale at any time for between 20-70 quid, mostly low end stuff, but there has been a gem or two and as I have to drive past it on my way back from work I visit regularly!. Long may it continue and hopefully it's a business model for charities that will spread.

Ok....not the dump, but found this at the side of the road with some furniture & general junk being tossed out.

I saw it the night before but was with my other half and stopiing to pick up bike frames was not on the agenda, so was surpirsed to find it was still there in the am.....not the first frame or bike bits I've seen deposited at the side of the road in east london.

Seems ok....just heavilly used.

FISHER FRAME.jpg

Back