Bikes at the dump.......

Synthiaks

Senior Retro Guru
Went to the tip for the first time in many years, last visit bikes were £5 each as a tea fund for the staff (also anything else interesting knocking around was negotiable....) this time not so.....nothing can be sold any more and the bikes are stacked until collected in bulk (not sure by or for who..)..... anyhow, only posting this as there was a reasonable Marin sat there and a decent set of Wolber AT18s that i wasn't allowed to take no matter how much I pleaded.....so sharing the pain and also wondering what gems have been found (also lost) via the local tip. I had a few from this same place back in the 80s as a teenager....

IMG_20211105_112133.jpg

ultimately wrong, I can understand staff not being able to take anything but surely your tax funds that? So you should be able to reclaim anything you want? NIGHTMARE

This really really is just plain bad and there are no excuses or valid reasons why this happens

Many council sites are privately run and often hide behind non existent health and safety

My local went this way and the supply of quality kit including some horrifically collectable and sort after hifi was cut off.

All I can suggest is contact your local MP and local press

I'll just stay silently outraged hopefully its a bike charity taking them away.....odd you should mention HiFi, I had a pair of Quad preamps from the same dump back in the 90s as well as some other nice things, i cant bring myself to even look in their WEE pile now, makes me cry....thats where the real criminal waste is.

Also....who bins a Marin?
There is a scrap dealer lives not far from me, a few weeks back he had a Raleigh 531 framed racing bike, a Claud Butler ladies 531 bike with a campagnolo record front mech, and a Cannondale M500 all on the back of his truck, I asked about buying them and got fobbed off with health and safety...

@KermitGKona88 Thats surprising for a scap dealer to turn you down...they usualy smell coin and imagine you'd have give more than weigh in costs.

But people are weird.

to us, they are things of joy, to others, they are toys and trinkets to be disposed of anyway they see fit. the sheer amount of stuff that goes in to these places is astonishing, so much of it could be repurposed or simply reused, but people are just to wrapped up in their own little world to thing others might need it. I know not everybody thinks like this, but it would appear, given the profit of the companies that run these sites, that the vast majority do.

oh and it isn't H&S. It's litigation and insurance that prevent you buying one, in part, thanks to the pure greed of some people who see a chance to make a claim, but as usual, HSE get's touted buy the dim witted as it's easier to say.

I'd always thought even running one dump with that in mind you'd make more profit and also help the environment, there's brass in muck......old one, but true.

We are incredidbly wasteful as a society, but at least a few of us here are 'recycling'.....bad pun....

Latest posts

Back