bike weights

Does anyone know what a rough breakdown of weight would be a PITD typical hardtail?

Eg

Frame 10lb
Forks 2lb
Front wheel 4lb
Back wheel 5lb
Seat post 1.5 lb
Cranks 2lb
Stem 0.5lb
Bars 0.5lb

...type of thing?

PurpleFrog":ul6i89wt said:
Does anyone know what a rough breakdown of weight would be a PITD typical hardtail?

Eg

Frame 10lb
Forks 2lb
Front wheel 4lb
Back wheel 5lb
Seat post 1.5 lb
Cranks 2lb
Stem 0.5lb
Bars 0.5lb

...type of thing?

early to mid 90's
Frame 3lb to 5.5 lb
Fork 2lb (rigid) to 3 3/4lb (sus)
All pretty much the same as today excluding the carbon and Ti everything stuff, though it was available the likes of shimano and most did not really use it.
Groupsets have lost overall weight, mainly due to compact ring setup (and Ti/Alu rear hubs), though other made them back in the day.

Again not talking exotic things.

Talking of weights, i had a nice surprise when i weighed the Surly 1x1 with a pair of White Brothers on last week and it came out at 18.5.

The lightest build i have had is a Zaskar Race ss that came in at 16 lb.
It was fantastic for blatting about town. Although off road i found it a very odd ride as the front end was just to light.

The best of my weenie bikes was a 20lb Santa Cruz Superlight that was a joy on and off road and i miss it on a daily basis :(
I think it may be time to build a new one?

I have found a load of old bike pics so i may well send you all to sleep this weekend by posting them!!

Al,Having an early night cos its the Velocake club cake 'ride' in the morning. :D

One thing I was going to point out is we have a weight section with talk (not used much) but also another with lists of parts weighted.

I use it as a reference quite often
BUT
It seems to have vanished in the shake up :(

Anyways, that would have been a nice place to go have a look.

FluffyChicken":3kgtf8hv said:
One thing I was going to point out is we have a weight section with talk (not used much) but also another with lists of parts weighted.

I use it as a reference quite often
BUT
It seems to have vanished in the shake up :(

Anyways, that would have been a nice place to go have a look.

You're right :shock: where has it gone, i used it now and again too, and have posted there, even tried searching fr my old post but it's gone.

I had my weights stored in there, now I have no idea what they all where.

Hopefully it's just hidden and can be brought back.

My lightest build was the singlespeed Hei Hei at 18.1 lbs but it was terrible and bounced all over the place. I fitted RC36's and a M950 based 1 x 9 set up and it was much nicer to ride and still just a shade over 20lbs.

At the other end of the scale my Schwinn Excelsior is just over 37lbs which I'm told is pretty weight weenietastic for a Klunker.

Other weights..
86 Cannondale SM600 26.6lbs*,
87 FAT CHANCE 26.2lbs*,
RC100 24.4lbs*,
Yo Eddy 24.1lbs
and the Boulder is 27.3 lbs without its shifters and cables.

*Denotes completely standard factory spec

Si

Latest posts

Back