Bike radar live 2010 Brands Hatch 10 and 11 july

TedC":jbk13m72 said:
Made it there, more details later...

John, hope the wait to get home wasn't too bad.

But first off...it was sodding hot and the Grubb and I survived five laps of the indy circuit...

hot indeed, look forward to the report.

Thanks for wishes regarding trip home. Will let you know how it goes, still at thurrock waiting for recovery. I actually quite like it here now.

I hope you made it back safely John!

On the one hand It would be good to say that you didn't miss any thing out of the ordinary. But in light of the amount of hassle you went through in almost getting there, I have decided to tell the truth. Though in all probability you would have most likely missed this chance happening even if you had been at the event.

I will write this up in more detail later but here are the basics.
I was talking with Joe Breeze who had just been riding my 1983 Cleland around an area of tarmac when up walked Jeremy Torr and Max Glaskin. I must explain for anyone reading this who does not have a detailed knowledge of mountain bike pioneers, that Joe Breeze made the first purpose built mountain bike frames. And Jeremy Torr made most of Geoff Apps' Cleland Frames, the first custom built mountain bike frames to be made outside of the US.

After the introductions, I pointed out that a Cleland, that Jeremy had helped to make 27 years before, was parked just behind him. There then followed, between the two frame makers, a remarkable conversation were amongst other things, they relived their mutual enthusiasm for frame building in those early years. This chance meeting was even more remarkable in that Jeremy has lived in Singapore since 1989, and was just visiting the UK for his sons graduation.

I believe Geoff Apps and I, last met Jeremy at a Wendover Bash about 1988. Though I had contacted Jeremy in Singapore, as part of my researches into British mountain bike history.

More details of this chance meeting and the days other events will follow.

thanks Graham, I feel better for that.

Max and Jeremey were at Bike Radar for their MBC reunion as pointed out a couple of threads down. Had planned on getting to that but hey ho. Cool they managed to meet up with Mr Breeze though. Sure you put forward the case for Clelland well enough ;)

Sure you put forward the case for Clelland well enough
I' am never shy in extolling the virtues of the Cleland. But now, thanks to Jeremy, I have a better understanding of why they weigh so much. Solid fork crowns, stay bridges and indestructible steerer tubes. etc. It's a good job they used a bit of 531 here and there to offset the weight of the solid bits.

Joe Breeze checked over the Cleland with the curiosity of an English plumber inspecting a French central heating system. He recognised the Deore XT bits, but had never seen many of the components before, and even the Woods' valves looked strange on a mountain bike. I explained why its French moped hub brakes did not overheat and melt the bearing grease, and that they use a floating cams to self-centre the brake shoes just like hydraulic disk brakes do. There was however one frame design detail that Joe was so impressed by that he talked of incorporating it into his 2011 Breezers. Though due to reasons of commercial confidentiality I won't discuss the details here.

I must say that Joe's latest bikes look suburb. Unlike the Cleland they are a masterclass in lightweight tube engineering. I especially liked the lines and detail of the aluminium framed bike, and the Schwinn inspired paintwork is a wonderful reference back to the origins of the sport.

did not even make it today .

was going to take the whole family but wife said the £15 pp price tag was a bit high just to watch bikes . :?

I went on Saturday. Just after the entrance I spotted a teenager on a new Lightning so I ran over to him and started babbling on, poor kid looked a bit shocked heh. Anyway, got talking about the bike then he mentioned that his dad is around at which point I twig and say "Joe Breeze is your dad?" yes he replies heh. Chatted a bit more and Joes wife Connie (?) introduced herself as well, said Joe would be in the Mbuk tent later.

So I went down there a bit later and there he was. Introduced myself, had a chat about bikes etc. They were on a bit of a tour of the uk and only heard about the event a couple of days ago. Talked about my old Lightning for a bit and then got a photo, forgot to get an autograph doh! Still, made my day! Might take the old bike out for a ride tomorrow night heh

ME+JoeBreeze-small.jpg

@Graham interesting Clelands used bar rather than tube?!? Surely they still don't? anyhow we should probably discuss this on the Cleland thread rather than Bike Radar thread.

@dlr . Great pic, must've been great to meet Joe.

Here is the one and only picture from my Bike Radar experience. Sat in the car waiting in Thurrock services for the AA for 8 hours.

Attachments

• 10072010067.jpg
    10072010067.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,738
Here is the one and only picture from my Bike Radar experience. Sat in the car waiting in Thurrock services for the AA for 8 hours.

If you had known in advance that the AA would take that long I could have picked you up, taken you to Bike Radar and dropped you back at your car on my way home about 6pm.

8 hours for a breakdown service is appalling!

Joe Breeze riding my 27 year old Cleland Aventura.

He appears to be enjoying the quirky handling characteristics caused by the 15lbs PSI, tyre pressures.

Low pressure tyres are one of the traits that Geoff Apps copied from the trials motorbikes that inspired the Clelands design. These low pressures give fantastic grip and allow the tyres to float and snake about on the narrow rims. However this only works due to the thick, strong tyre sidewalls.

Attachments

• DSC01448a.jpg
    DSC01448a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,681
Back