Bike lock Dragons Den Invention idea.

how is the material cut in manufacture? if it can be cut to make things surely it wont belong before the thiefs know what ti use to cut it off your bike. not trying to pick fault, just interested

you can cut raw kevlar cloth with a good pair of scissors though they will wear out very rapidly! for day to day use you use kevlar shears.i will say again,i dont think its suitable for this application at all.

Attachments

• Bessey_Erdi_Kevlar_Shears_1.jpg
    Bessey_Erdi_Kevlar_Shears_1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 700
that is how you buy kevar,on a roll of material in various tows(thickness) to add any real strength you either sew it into a jacket as a bullet proof vest of impregnate it with resin and other layers of caron fiber/glass fibre,most carbon parts that need additional strengh simply have a layer of kevlar cloth within the structure.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts- ... es-14.html

If its stitched into a tube shape with padding - think of like how pipe lagging works- with a hollow core. Then say double layer it (like a car roof). It will be nigh impossible to simply find a seam and cut it with shears surely?

honestly its really not that strong in a raw cloth form,i did a presentation once to a group on carbon and kevlar construction and handed out a sample of kevlar cloth and some 99p safety paper scissors,they managed to easily cut the cloth(to my suprise).. a bullet proof vest has 30 layers of kevlar to gain its strenth,a bullet will penatrate maybe a third of these before it is stopped.. and im not sure about how waterproof raw cloth is either..

No - folding roofs - the impregnated rubbery fabric material thats really tricky to cut... this is what got me started on this. I think its kevlar lined too.

im pretty sure they are just nylon,i cant see any reason they would add kevlar to it as it would add nothing to strengh(well it would be bullet proof if they added 30 layers lol) or weight only add a considerable cost,granted convertable roofs are very strong and it maybe an idea to look at using that type of fabric but again,bolt croppers would be thru it in an instant imo :( go for a ti D lock :cool:

edit,vinyl or canvas according to this- http://wapedia.mobi/en/Convertible

Back