Bike cargo trailers

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
Any recommendations for a sturdy trailer to haul my tools around the hilly streets of Brighton? Ive just moved here and driving ain't practical, and i don't really want to!
But I need to haul my carpentry tools, and the occasional materials, around.
Panniers arent capacious enough, and a cargo bike won't get up my stairs....
Thanks in advance...

Look for the ones that mount on the rear axle rather than to the seat post. They are a lot more stable. I've usually used dog/child trailers for carting stuff around (or as a base for building my own box etc on.

BOB Yak trailers are good. The single wheel design’s light and handles really well, even off road.

There seem to be a few copies around these days. Don’t know if they’re as good but this looks ok:

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bobs are great but quite long and can for awkward maneuvering and it puts all the weight on the hitch. having said that so can a standard 2 wheel trailer, but at least you can do some balancing.
I used a kids rear axle mounted trailer for a while, firstly to haul the little ones but then to haul all sorts of other junk. they can often be picked up cheap second hand when the parents realise they are scary as frick on the road or the kids get to fat for them. no recommendation for a make from me I'm afraid, they are all pretty much the same other the bob with it's wacky 1 wheel.

I used a 2 child trailer to haul my son and shopping, it worked well, you can just make out space behind the seat too. Brighton is a complete pita for driving, nazi traffic wardens too. a.JPG

bobs are great but quite long and can for awkward maneuvering and it puts all the weight on the hitch. having said that so can a standard 2 wheel trailer, but at least you can do some balancing.
I used a kids rear axle mounted trailer for a while, firstly to haul the little ones but then to haul all sorts of other junk. they can often be picked up cheap second hand when the parents realise they are scary as frick on the road or the kids get to fat for them. no recommendation for a make from me I'm afraid, they are all pretty much the same other the bob with it's wacky 1 wheel.
If the weight’s fairly even on the trailer then only half will be on the bikes axle; if it’s placed towards the rear then more will be on the trailers wheel. With panniers, all the weight’s on the bike.
I agree about the awkward manoeuvring though. And not being able to balance everything upright when off the bike is a pain, but if you jack-knife the trailer you can make it self supporting.
There’s absolutely no balancing issues with the single wheel when riding, even really slowly. Handling’s super stable; better than without a trailer attached!

Last edited:
Thanks all....
I'd forgotten about Bob Yaks - a name from the distant past...
I'll add them to the short list which currently consists of the Topeak single wheel trailer (with an ingenious axle connection method) and the Burley coho, which has a slightly bigger, squarer load area, but does it have a simikar nifty way of disconnecting without loosening the quick release?

Carry Freedom get good reviews, but they look pricey.

Burley do some nice trailers.

Quite a few similar looking ones to the Bob Yak. For example, the Topeak Journey looks good.

There are loads of cheaper Amazon / Halfords type trailers which would probably do the job.

I think that this one looks decent for hauling tools about, and not too spendy.

Back