BIKE BUILD: Earthquake Jake's 1992 MC San Andreas

Congrats and nice to read you here Josh. We had PMs about this bike few months (years?) ago. Too bad that mine won't be restored by the end of this year. Cheers!

PS: You'll get my vote for BoTM. But you need to remove one of your three posted pictures to comply with the rules.

Fabulous bike, excellent post. I love any early FS bike. Here's Jake in action on a, presumably, later San Andreas. (Thanks to Fat Tire Fotos). https://www.fattirefotos.com/earthquake-jake-watson
%C2%A9FTF2018_2103.jpg

Re:

There was a Marin with RS rear end for sale in japan a few years back - I almost pulled the trigger but the incredible shipping cost put me off....

I loved those Marin bikes. I found a couple myself online but I don't want a replica Jake's bike, just the real thing if it's still out there. Wouldn't be hard to identify, it may be the only size 21" downhill mountain bike around. ;)

On the photo above - yes that was 1997 from Mammoth. What a great shot of Jake. He ended up using that same bike in the bunny hop competition!

I will try to remove the photo. Still trying to figure this out.

Feel free to find me on Jake's facebook page: Earthquake Jake Watson

Thanks everyone!

Josh

Re:

It's great and sad to read this story. I'm from Belgium and I started mountainbiking back in 1991 (pretty late - I was born the same year as your brother). Soon I discovered the Grundig Cup mountainbike coverage on Eurosport and that's how I got to know downhill racing... and Jake Watson. I quitted mountainbiking back in 1999 and one of the last things I remember from that year is this terrible accident. Strange feelings take over when reading this thread. It was "just" a (terrible) news item about a mountainbike celebrity then, this story makes it so much more "human", reminds me that "stars" too are someone's son, daughter, brother, best friend, partner...

WimVDD - thank you for your kind words. It is all bitter sweet and there are still sad days when we simply want to hear his voice or laugh. We always say that Jake left all of us different gifts and that those are the treasures we all hold onto. We will see Jake's smile again and thanks to threads like this and riders like yourself and the other people here - Jake's memory and zest for LIFE will carry on. Ride safe my friend and thank you for reaching out.

Hey Josh!

So good to read this thread and see Jake's SA again.

Best of luck in BOTM.

Cheers
Regan

Thanks Regan. . . never thought of submitting it but thought it would be fun for everyone to read. Still have a few more of his bikes to submit. . .

jwlinn":15uc7am5 said:
Thanks Regan. . . never thought of submitting it but thought it would be fun for everyone to read. Still have a few more of his bikes to submit. . .
I'm a big fan of Jake, as you know. I look forward to seeing more. :cool:

Back