Best new tech to put on a retro bike?

Agree with the above, forks are just WAY better than anything on offer BITD

TBH I'm totally happy having modernish forks and Vs on my Hei Hei as it has to be a bike that can be ridden. Yes, it would be nice to have all the parts period correct etc but I know I wouldn't use it then which is wrong!

shogun":1ghg370n said:
You do realise that some of us have more than one bike, and aren't stuck in a 1995 timewarp? Furthermore that it is just maybe possible that things have actually improved functionally over the years? I think if you can't see the massive improvements in braking tech from V-brakes onward, you're living in a fantasy.
I can appreciate the old days without pretending the present isn't here and now.
I agree and disagree... Aly is massively overrated as a frame material and mostly enthusiasts run steel XC-frames... So suspension and brake tech is way ahead, frame tech (accept suspension tech) isn't... But that's my opinion ofcoarse, not that elusive absolute truth, hehe...

Oh, and btw, my 18 yo Easton alu frame is way stiffer and more responsive than any new Kona... That I actually don't understand at all...

I think we're on the same page. I'm saying the leaps in hang-on parts have been huge, and most of it is backward compatible. Frames (aside fromn suspension) haven't seen huge leaps in design, mostly refinements*.

*(Although some carbon frame tech is truly amazing, so light and tough, stiff under power yet a smoother ride than even some old steel frames.)

Threadless headset

Not exactly new tech anymore, but gotta admit setting them up is way easier than the threaded variety.

Octsoc":1auaarbd said:
Threadless headset

Not exactly new tech anymore, but gotta admit setting them up is way easier than the threaded variety.
It's only new tech if you're building a bike from before the ~1990's ;)

I also don't real see how it's easier...

In fact my threaded headset is probably easier, screw top part down till it's correct, tighten allen key and job done. No need for a stem, and when it comes to fitting the stem I can align that and raise it up and down and my forks don't fall out or my headset becomes loose.

The only ease I can think it gives is lazyness not to cut a steerer down and just space it out with spacers (though you could do this with some threaded headsets.). You also don't have to select the correct length steerer either, from new. But then they cannot butt/mill the steerer to save weight, unless they loose this advantage.

Swings and roundabout.

Octsoc":avhy6r9m said:
Threadless headset

It's only not new tech if you're building a bike from before the 1991 ;)

I also don't real see how it's easier...

In fact my threaded headset is probably easier, screw top part down till it's correct, tighten allen key and job done, no need for a stem. When it comes to fitting the stem I can align that and raise it up and down and my forks don't fall out or my headset becomes loose.

The only ease I can think it gives is lazyness not to cut a steerer down and just space it out with spacers (though you could do this with some threaded headsets.). You also don't have to select the correct length steerer either, from new. But then they cannot butt/mill the steerer to save weight, unless they loose this advantage.

Swings and roundabout.

Back