Best new tech to put on a retro bike?

discs were on the san andreas way back at the start of the 90s so retro they are.as for modern onto old i would have to say suspension forks.50 mm travel was never enough on a long trip off road.i discovered this when i cycled peddars way ..60 odd miles off road hurts ......oh maybe the saddle ...hmmmmmmm..oh i dunno.. :shock:

MJN":12p0x8dl said:
purplewicked":12p0x8dl said:
FairfaxPat":12p0x8dl said:
This forum is all about communication, but if you have a closed mind, like you seem to have, it doesn't do ANY good trying to educate you.
it's a fvcking retro forum so why sing praises to discs? if you don't like cantis ... why ride a retro vintage bike? why post on a vintage retro forum? :?

Read the title of the thread :roll:

the thread makes no sense. why butcher a time machine to have discs? keep the retro bike and buy/ build to your own specs a new frame made for 100+mm forks, disc brakes, aheadsets, carbon this and that..

i cringe when i see an ibis mojo or bontrager or yeti cut and torched to accept disc tabs, EBBs etc.. Just preserve those frames and build something else.

purplewicked":2cg08968 said:
i cringe when i see an ibis mojo or bontrager or yeti cut and torched to accept disc tabs, EBBs etc.. Just preserve those frames and build something else.
Mmm, modding a frame such as a Yeti isn't nice... I'm into building a tribute bike based on the Yeti Ultimate design but made specifically for SS and disc brakes, we'll see how it turns out... (I'll post pics all the way when the project gets going)

modern chains work brilliantly with old 6spd stuff (9spd works well on 7spd)

LED headlamps are great as I can see them miles away

I've had disks since 1996 so to me they fall into retro.

Cantis in the dry when set up correctly work as well as disks and V's at low speeds. V's can be snatchy, disks can be a right pain in the arse if theres any silicon or oily crap anywhere near the pads and can feel decidedly wooden untill well bedded in.

So there.

legrandefromage":fowe8i9u said:
modern chains work brilliantly with old 6spd stuff (9spd works well on 7spd)

LED headlamps are great as I can see them miles away

I've had disks since 1996 so to me they fall into retro.

Cantis in the dry when set up correctly work as well as disks and V's at low speeds. V's can be snatchy, disks can be a right pain in the arse if theres any silicon or oily crap anywhere near the pads and can feel decidedly wooden untill well bedded in.

So there.

Agree with discs, get contaminated pads/discs and they're worse than Vs and cam become a real headache!

my magura rim's on the LTS-DH performed half as well as my mates discs on his giant glory at the top of snowdon, about half way down tho his discs performed half as well as my magura's.

discs offer unbelivable amounts of stopping power 30mph +, but can overheat and fade terribly in extended use.

the great thing about discs tho is you dont have to worry about buckled wheels.

i dont hammer my retro bikes so canti's and v's work fine.

I had hope discs with no frame adaptors on my 96 munimula with Judy Dhs, so discs can be in keeping. Even the old C2s/ sport were a vast improvement. (I had a few over the bars moments!)

This thread IS relevant, as it's not always possible to get your hands on retro kit as and when you need it. And, if you plan to use the bike, rather than look at it, we're going to run out of old kit eventually anyway. There isn't the market for "repro" old parts for bikes (a la classic cars/ motorbikes), the inherent worth just isn't there.

My 95 Cinder Cone will have to run 9-speed for a while as, A)-I have stuff in the garage and I've spent enough on it for now. B)-I want to take time to find the right kit. There is kit out there that is both modern and (almost) retro looking (CK, Hope, Thomson).

You can't argue that this is a retro BB so sod-off if you've put anything modern on the bike. There isn't a "retrobikewithafewmodernbitsonit.com"

Bikes, particularly MTBs, if used have to be maintained and parts replaced. It's part of the fun. It IS fantastic to see the old bikes with all their correct gear on, but it's not the be all and end all.

I really like this forum, the retrobike concept is great. Aparently even MBUK this month were extolling the virtues of getting out the old gear and using it!

Cheers
Adey

adeyb":2qz0t653 said:
Aparently even MBUK this month were extolling the virtues of getting out the old gear and using it!

Cheers
Adey

the way they did that was awful, bodged together stuff that could have been done well, quicker.

they just wanted to make the bikes look comical. a bit too 'top gear' for my liking.

purplewicked":9f9yywsg said:
it's a fvcking retro forum so why sing praises to discs? if you don't like cantis ... why ride a retro vintage bike? why post on a vintage retro forum? :?

You do realise that some of us have more than one bike, and aren't stuck in a 1995 timewarp? Furthermore that it is just maybe possible that things have actually improved functionally over the years? I think if you can't see the massive improvements in braking tech from V-brakes onward, you're living in a fantasy.
I can appreciate the old days without pretending the present isn't here and now.

Anyway, if we were talking things to change to maintain functionality and performance on vintage platforms..

For me, I'd say modern forks (seem to last forever and perform amazingly well, leaps in precision and efficiency are enormous) modern brakes (even V-brakes are a quantum leap forward from old cantis, discs are brilliant but fitment problems preclude their use for mostof older bikes), modern rubber (roll faster, grip better, last longer...)

As for a lot of vintage kit like mechs, cranks, seatposts, stems, bars, headsets, wheelsets...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, because really little has changed in these areas except weights and dimensions.

If we were talking other than XC, touring or commuting, then..everything is fair game, you can't call a 3" travel bike with cantis a DH rig in this day and age.

Latest posts

Back