Best new tech to put on a retro bike?

FairfaxPat":wss0uq8q said:
Quote- I'm still not getting this: I've never had a problem getting the wheels of a bike to the edge of a braking skid using cantis, any more braking power is pointless, and different brakes can't change where that skid kicks in. Dealing better - much better - with mud I can see, and fewer overheating problems. But raw braking power???[quote)----------------------- IF YOU STILL DON'T GET IT-I DOUBT IF YOU EVER WILL.

I got "it" from what MJN wrote, and from your post that you can't communicate or adjust cantis...

This forum is all about communication, but if you have a closed mind, like you seem to have, it doesn't do ANY good trying to educate you.

PurpleFrog":rj2kt43c said:
FairfaxPat":rj2kt43c said:
Quote- I'm still not getting this: I've never had a problem getting the wheels of a bike to the edge of a braking skid using cantis, any more braking power is pointless, and different brakes can't change where that skid kicks in. Dealing better - much better - with mud I can see, and fewer overheating problems. But raw braking power???[quote)----------------------- IF YOU STILL DON'T GET IT-I DOUBT IF YOU EVER WILL.

I got "it" from what MJN wrote, and from your post that you can't communicate or adjust cantis...

If you are happy with your cantis,fine but do not insult my abilities to adjust something as simple as a cantilever brake :twisted:

scheisse

Gripshift, tomac had them I had them. Now I just tried an X9 shifters with an cheap X7 rear mech f*ck me they're good!

discs I'm not sure to be honest I'm not that heavy but ride kind of hard and v's are pretty good. In xc u can't go to fast in the wet anyways cause of the roots. Maybe a BB7 up front would be a good idea...

Geometry of the new bikes suck generally, to high up front and people ride with risers? bollocks a xc bike should be like sitting on a road bike with your hands not in the bow.

Carbon fiber stiff as hell sideways and light but that's it. pretty ugly bikes

Cant beleive people want to ruin a retro bike with mod parts! What is this! The ONLY place I can see this is with a sealed BB or headset, and possbile ghetto tubeless setup.....otherwise, whats the point.

Re: cantis vs Vs vs Discs....cmon.....cantis are terrible, Vs where a huge improvement, and Dics are just in a differnet league. Cant beleive people are saysing cantis will do....jez, filing pads and replacing cables, oh god! And try riding in real world conditions (wet grass, mud, etc) and you will NEVER choss Vs or cantis over discs. Deep braking all the way now.

re.

for my sake I ride pretty hard xc and a lot...

I would like to ride an old bike with 8speed xtr cause it was the best but it would be to expensive. At the moment i have to ride a carbon bike cause my steel frame is getting some paintwork, and it went a bit bad so it has to be professionally done, and well the carbon one isn't that bad.

but I don't see any harm sticking newer stuff on old frames and race them, then u get the best from both worlds. Just ditch thoose discs I ride v's on my modern to and an old Judy fork...

FairfaxPat":2iguz4vw said:
This forum is all about communication, but if you have a closed mind, like you seem to have, it doesn't do ANY good trying to educate you.
it's a fvcking retro forum so why sing praises to discs? if you don't like cantis ... why ride a retro vintage bike? why post on a vintage retro forum? :?

purplewicked":26o26bux said:
FairfaxPat":26o26bux said:
it's a fvcking retro forum so why sing praises to discs? if you don't like cantis ... why ride a retro vintage bike? why post on a vintage retro forum? :?

Read the title of the thread :roll:

Latest posts

Back