Best Mag - Old or new.

MBUK - then and now. ;)

I've aged 19 years ( :shock: ) with it and it still appeals, is still fresh and funky, oh and they cover all bases without too much prejudice, bearing in mind there are a bazillion sub genres of biking these days thats pretty impressive.

I try too like Dirt, its good but far too 'cool' for me to buy it! :D :cool:

MBR still seems a bit square IMO, but worth a read like :D

I always loved the shortlived Mountain Bike World best, the articles used to make me want to go riding, and the pics were awesome. One in particular was of two riders riding down some singletrack with a huge glacier behind them.

MTB Pro which proceeded world was ace as well, do these ever come up on ebay?

As for the modern stuff, just Singletrack.

Dr S":2t3ast86 said:
a mate dropped off a pile of 70's Street Machine and Custom Car mags last week.

SWEET!! :cool:

If they're anything like old Hot Rod mags they should be worth a bit (when you've finished admiring the 'curves' of course ;) )

Back to MTB mags - I am/was a sucker for MBA, their photos are always taken in sunny California :cool: and BITD they had pictures/reports of all the coolest new blinged-up bikes.

Whats the content of DIRT? I've picked up a few Singletracks and really like most of the way its pitched, photography and stuff, but sometimes seems to disappear up its own ass. There was a new mag coming out which I've forgotten the name of which seemed to cover all cycling, looked quite good too. Oh and MBUK isn't as bad as it used to be( I stopped reading after the topgearesque stunts and some wee snot punky guy seemed to be on very page) and seems to be promoting new talent and some decent event reports. MBR does seem MOR but ok I guess. What MTB seems a bit better too.

Another vote for MTB Pro although I frequently spent ALL my pocket money by buying MBUK as well (for Mint Sauce, obviously).

I was gutted when MTB Pro died. Didn't like the first (Mountain Biking Pro) relaunch much, by the time it became Mountain Bike World or whatever it was, I'd lost interest in it. :cry:

I used to get every issue of MBUK (started with issue 2 but then got issue 1 on back order). Read it for must have been about 10 years. Now, getting back into bikes after a long lay off, it seems to have changed or maybe I've just grown up (surely not!!!! :LOL: ).

Does anyone remember Mountain Biker International? (I think that was the right title) It was back in the 'old days' LOL! :cool:

Going slightly OT - anyone else still got a copy of the 'Mountain Biking Handbook' by Barry Ricketts?

I stopped reading them,ok an occasional peek to see the developments,but theres never any retro stuff in there :(

KevinPP":1qy8sq2i said:
Being a newbie this may have been discussed already, but what was the best MTB mag now or then?
My vote goes to Max MTB. Great mag. Always featured proper MTB`ing mixed with a smattering of new gear. MBR first few were good too. Still got the free videos. Shame I don`t have a player any more.

Depends which era of Max MTB, I wrote for them at the end of '98 and they were sold around christmas time with most of the staff writers changing.

I agree they were the best though :LOL:

dyna-ti":3svmd3yr said:
I stopped reading them,ok an occasional peek to see the developments,but theres never any retro stuff in there :(

This months MBUK has a good article on JMC and.........features a retro biker ;)

Back