Best / favourite / best made Canti brakes from 90ies

By far my all time favourite canti brake. The Gravity Research Rim Crusher. Once set up correctly they offered decent braking.

Attachments

• 5D149171-BFAB-412F-86F0-285CE0824074.jpeg
    5D149171-BFAB-412F-86F0-285CE0824074.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 4E69527A-7807-4788-8BF0-6673DA019E77.jpeg
    4E69527A-7807-4788-8BF0-6673DA019E77.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 26
Tri-Aligns with Ultimate levers worked really, really well for me.

As do the classic M734's with matching levers.

Personally I don't think the M900s improved performance any from those.

Scott Pedersen's and their Suntour SE equivalent where appalling for me. Got rid of all the ones I had.

But by far the best cantilever brake, with the easiest installation and most modulation I've used on any of my bikes is the modern Paul Touring Canti.

Looks like it belong on a 90s bike, and works far better than any other period correct option I've tried. So if you're not going for a purist build I highly recommend them. Pretty much all I use now.

Kool Stop Thinline pads make a huge improvement to brake performance, as well. So much so I use the non-threaded kind on older calipers. Just don't use them with a Roller Cam or U-brake. I find a stubbier, fatter pad works best with those.

Oh, and the Hunter Nugz are a really nice additional touch to really dial things in and get the pad as close to the rim as possible, especially over time as the pad wears down.

For a heads up - controltech set NOS being sold on the sale forum !!

They look damn cool! These are their CX ones? How do they perform ?
I also like the Froglegs
And as someone said the wider profile the better
these are on a Moser mtb. Also "rocky" suggests they are for mtb use. Only tested for a short ride, i can tell there were no problems at all. Cables are so thin... The whole bike was riding awesome, but seatpost is stuck atm.
I love the looks too...

I frequently kick myself for selling my single set of paul stoplights, should have looked harder to find a match.

Bought a second grafton and while it works, it is not as nice to look at, set up or use as the stoplight.

I frequently kick myself for selling my single set of paul stoplights, should have looked harder to find a match.

Bought a second grafton and while it works, it is not as nice to look at, set up or use as the stoplight.
I’ve only ever used the Paul Neo Retro and just say they were in most ways The Best canti I’ve used - easy to set up and with so much progressive control and power
My only issue is that they’re wide and sometimes when dismounting they did hurt my legs as easy to scrape and sometimes hurt bad EF5C737B-F8EF-49DD-90AB-9F5103E334E4.jpeg

Back