Ben Nevis 11th Sept

good luck on the Ben, recommend you do an 5am start or an evening start (tho light is now fading with limited light after 20:30hrs unless it's a bright day. Reason being, the Ben is hoaching with tourists and 3 peaks challengers in big groups, much more fun for you and them, especially the way down if you avoid the steady stream of walkers during the day.

there's wild camping opportunities up at the end of glen nevis, if you have the tiem to walk in from the car abit, plenty of forecast about too to get a flame going and keep the midges at bay. I've been eaten alive in the glen nevis campsite before, which is more a touring caravan site. Really recommend a fire if you want to enjoy the camp, another option is the Red Squirrel in glen coe, one of the few sites that allow a campfire, with the clachaig inn a short walk away

gmac123":3d8jubnb said:
good luck on the Ben, recommend you do an 5am start or an evening start (tho light is now fading with limited light after 20:30hrs unless it's a bright day. Reason being, the Ben is hoaching with tourists and 3 peaks challengers in big groups, much more fun for you and them, especially the way down if you avoid the steady stream of walkers during the day.

there's wild camping opportunities up at the end of glen nevis, if you have the tiem to walk in from the car abit, plenty of forecast about too to get a flame going and keep the midges at bay. I've been eaten alive in the glen nevis campsite before, which is more a touring caravan site. Really recommend a fire if you want to enjoy the camp, another option is the Red Squirrel in glen coe, one of the few sites that allow a campfire, with the clachaig inn a short walk away

Think it'll be more of a Sunday walk/carry the bike than screaming "OUTOFMYWAY STRAVAQUEEN CUMMING" :LOL:

Thanks for the tip about Red Squirrel, I'm in the crampervan and two more in tents or campercars,
with the birthday boy being posh in a cottage.

I hope its windy so the midges are all hiding :facepalm:

cheers kaya

Re:

+1 on getting a fire going!

The best thing about calm midge weather is that you can smoke yourself and your dwelling very effectively.

I agree about making the earliest possible start.

Good luck, and if you need any assistance I am only an hour away.

(I don't fly a helicopter..)

gmac123":1rcica0p said:

Years ago my climbing mate and I camped in the field next to the Clachaig, not allowed now though, I think, while we did some rock-climbs in Glencoe. It had been really windy and we'd had a bad night being kept awake by the flapping of the tents so we thought we'd camp in Glen Nevis, as it was much more sheltered by the side of the river since we would be climbing in Glen Nevis the next day.
It was sheltered all right and the bastard midges did their worst. Next morning when we got up we saw that the flysheets of the tents were covered in, what we thought, dead midges trapped by the dew on tents. Both of us were thinking "Haha look at ye, ya wee bastards, yer no bitin' noo" only for the sun to dry off the dew and "the wee bastards" to take off and fly away to bite another day. :shock:

Re:

Thanks for the advice chaps, we're all packed and ready for the morning.

Think the plan is to wild camp on fri nite and campsite sat, then see what state I'm in sun evening if we're staying on campsite or look for a wild site.

The weather forecast looks interesting this weekend as well, so that probably means it'll be shorts an t shirt or wetsuit an wellys :LOL:

Will report back...

cheers kaya

Beware of camping in long grass or like we did in a shinty field.
Large flying insects :shock: Hiding in the grass till you pitch then they swarm into every nook and cranny.
Might have been horse flies/ clegs things :?
Big and not too pleasant.

Re:

We're alive..

Made it up an down safely :cool:

Next time I'm up I'll do some proper riding :LOL:

cheers kaya

firedfromthecircus":2c59rzq1 said:
You survived then. :LOL:

Was it worth it?

I can honestly say YES.. would I do it again with a retrobike NO my arms and legs still ache :LOL:

Fantastic experience but the box has been well and truly ticked :LOL:

We had a great weekend, very lucky with the weather, it seamed to rain every time we were indoors and at nite.

Back