Bead blasting

Tc

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anyone know a good blaster that'll remove powder coating off a stem for me?
I'm in Wiltshire but would post too!

Cheers

Re:

if you're stripping powder coat from something relatively small like a stem, then also consider doing it chemically if there is nobody to blast it locally.

ebay item 191570948729 would do it.

Just be really bloody careful with it. Don't even get a slight whiff of it, or get it on your skin. ;)

Commercial bead blasters will leave quite a rough finish, probably easier to strip with chemicals then polish.
They use bead blasting for brightening stainless steel so it's reasonably harsh for aluminium.

Finer beads can for used at lower pressures, but their equipment is better suited to higher pressures, also most of them don't understand anything different to what they usually do.

Rampage":syea2gip said:
Commercial bead blasters will leave quite a rough finish, probably easier to strip with chemicals then polish.
They use bead blasting for brightening stainless steel so it's reasonably harsh for aluminium.

Finer beads can for used at lower pressures, but their equipment is better suited to higher pressures, also most of them don't understand anything different to what they usually do.

Cheers Chris chems it is

Also, be cautious with media blasting. Too high pressure and/or wrong media can distort the part. Something many folks don't think of, especially w/ Alum. It's like little hammers hitting the metal, and what does metal do when hammered?..... it distorts! :) hate to see someone wreck a part, so I mention it. P.C. making it double difficult on Alum., as P.C. can be a tough SOB! :)

I'd say just strip it using aircraft paint stripper. I tried sandblasting and beadblasting my Klein frame and it didn't really do anything to the paint. (Which is Durathane, the same thing airplanes are painted with.) Let alone powdercoating.

Latest posts

Back