Basso loto 80's steel bike, Jamaica paint, respray or not?

Re: Basso loto 80's steel bike, Jamaica paint, respray or no

Good morning,

My 2p's worth-

You did not mention what you want to do with the bike - this is the main question you should ask yourself.

If you are going to use it, clean it up, oil it and away you go.
If you are going to hang it up and drool over it - look at professional respray
If you plan to do both, sympathetic restoration is the way to go - touch up (as mentioned previously) and polish.

You asked about parts being 'freely available' - parts are available, dependent on what it is will dictate is easy to obtain and at what cost. Honestly, i think every part you could think of is available but at a cost, the rarer the part - the bigger the cost. Parts are available on Retrobike and there are a few other sites where parts are available - on line bike shops and, of course, Ebay. Best to post on the Wanted section here before you buy elsewhere.

One thing to consider - but you should take further advice about this - if you restore the paint and leave some 'patina' you could get it lacquered at that point. I do not see that this will detract from the bike and it should protect the bike in the long term.

There are a lot of hints and tips in this link about the restoration process -

viewtopic.php?t=228672

My only advice regarding the resto process is that it will take longer than you think. I had hoped to complete the Rapide before Christmas and i am still working at it although i am in the very final stages - 6 months later.

You have come to the right site for advice and parts - welcome. I am still a novice at this but if you can learn quickly and take advice from here you will not go too far wrong.

Good luck with the build,

Richard

Back