Barracuda 20 Niner in my Shed is becoming hard to fix-help?

robonwheels

Retro Newbie
I've lived at my current address for 2 years and a bike has never moved from my shed until recently. As the Landlord said I can have it I thought, ok?
I removed it and it looked relatively clean and free from Rust. My first concern was the bottom bracket was Shot and I needed to get into it and investigate further. As it was a Sunday and all my tools are for HGV's, I rushed to Argos to buy a cheap bike tool kit to get me started. It got me started but then I stopped. I tried many ways of getting further in my quest than just removing the cranks but the end caps of the bottom bracket wouldn't shift.
Luckily for me I have recently started volunteering at a Bike workshop side of a charity, so I took it in and got help. If it couldn't be fixed then it would have been donated and stripped for spares for the charity!
It took 3 of us and a bench vice to get both sides off but it eventually came away with ease. Unfortunately the ball bearings dispersed all over the floor and the bottom bracket was beyond repair.
On a slightly better note, one of the guys that helped me just happened to have a spare Stronglight JP400 bottom bracket on the shelf and it fit perfectly. For a reasonable £10 Plus he seemed to be impressed that the bike was a 20 Niner! As they don't see many at the workshop!
Now I'm stuck with the rear wheel. Its has a bad buckle and a few nipples were rounded. I reluctantly cut a spoke and acquired a new one with a few nipples from a local bike shop. But after much cursing and swearing it still won't straighten. It looks worse with the tyre refitted too!
Being unemployed due to an injury(not that, that matters at this moment in time), I can't afford a fancy new expensive rear wheel but if i can find a cheap and reliable alternative or even a rim that I could get respoked with the original Hub.

There is a sticker on the old rim that says Shining 700c ETR7Q (622-20) and the tyre says 29x1.95. I think the Hub is a Quando type?
I have been looking on Ebay but the 700c's only seem to be relating to 28" wheels/tyres!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated?

I have emailed barracuda bikes for help, so I hope they might be able to shed some light and help with this predicament!

I'm still no closer to overcoming my wheel predicament. :?

Any help please? It would help me very much and get me mobile again! :D

Now you say it, I don't have any of the complete bike! Just the sticker on the Rim, but it might not show clear enough? I'll try and upload it!

The bike is at the workshop that I volunteer at and I'm not back in till wednesday!

Get some pics on wednesday, put them in here of the entire bike with shots of the decals on the crossbar, seat tube etc also the brakes, mechs etc and you might be able to help others help you if that makes sense

I'll pm you my email addy and if you want help posting them send it to me and I will sort em out

My bike is roadworthy hoorah!

A guy I work with when I volunteer didn't want to give up on the wheel and trued it up for me. Or as best as he could! There is still a slight wobble but not as bad as it was. It is rideable but I wouldn't take it off road just yet!

Back