BAG OR BOX ?

royboy2cv

GT Fan
Hi all , going on my Holidays and thinking of taking a bike , the thing is is it to be a bag or a box , any recommendations and stories . :(

Re:

Have a search on line, you can hire boxes.

Bags are OK for local transport, but if you are going to trust you bike to baggage handlers, you want as much protection as possible.

The first time my son took his road bike to Portugal, we put heavyweight cardboard in a borrowed bag. It worked, but the whole thing ended up weighing a ton. The next time he went he hired a hard case for a week, and was able to pack all his nutritional powders, bottles and other stuff in the case, and was still under the weight limit.

Either a good bag or a box. Cheap bags are rubbish and need loads of extras to protect the bike.

BikeBoxAlan was my first choice, but postage to Sweden was eye-watering (especially as we needed two!)
So we got a couple of evoc bags instead (10€ for shipping, instead of 80€) , which TBH, are as good as it gets for a soft bag.

Agree with NeilM, if your flying then only use a box.
Don't bother buying a cheap one, they're a nightmare to store and the ones you can hire are much better quality.
Took my f/s xc bike to Sweden for the cyklevasan a couple of years ago, tools, spares and bike clothes in the box as well, got there and back with out a mark.
Think it was only £30 for the weekend (+deposit) :D

Attachments

• bike box.jpg
    bike box.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 189
  • bike box 2.jpg
    bike box 2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 189
Re:

Some places rent them as cheap as £45 per week: http://www.bikebox-online.co.uk/#

A bike box is the way to go, this is a BikeBoxAlan:

7442023786_d595dc79cb.jpg

A hard case is probably the safest but three of us flew to Grenoble, one with a cardboard box, one with a exposed bike with some bubble wrap and me with a hard case. All three survived both ways. :D

Been flying to the States for the last 8-10 years, anything up to 3 times a year and only ever used a soft bike bag, with no issues so far

Always flown with BA or Virgin and beyond hanging round waiting for the bike to come through the baggage re-claim, oversized is always last off, never had an issue

Boxes are fine but they weigh so much and are hard to deal with if you're road tripping, sometimes the box weighs as much as your weight limit without the bike!

Most "sporting goods" are limited to 23kg and anything over is charged, pack them well and your fine with a soft bag :~)

Back