Badger Cull.

Re:

Regular testing does help as the infected cattle are destroyed before they can infect others in the herd . Which is why I cannot understand why it's not made compulsory . With the rate of expansion in our population and the increased pressures on our food chain as a consequence , surely we want that food chain to be as efficient as possible .
Let's hope the drugs to immunise the cattle is developed sooner rather than later .

Mike

Killing badgers would most likely increase the spread of TB, as the fresh, badger free spaces left after the cull are ideal for badgers from other areas to move into. Nothing like a highly mobile population to increase the spread of disease. Look at whats going on in Africa with Ebola.

EggyBum6969":3vcguzck said:
they should inject not shoot an i hope there not putting cancer causing mercury an alu in like they do with humans
FFS, another anti-vaxxer. :facepalm:

mattr":3ke2jmqg said:
Killing badgers would most likely increase the spread of TB, as the fresh, badger free spaces left after the cull are ideal for badgers from other areas to move into. Nothing like a highly mobile population to increase the spread of disease. Look at whats going on in Africa with Ebola.

EggyBum6969":3ke2jmqg said:
they should inject not shoot an i hope there not putting cancer causing mercury an alu in like they do with humans
FFS, another anti-vaxxer. :facepalm:

you mean like gardasil an anti cancer vac that does not prevent cancer but has killed a lot of the women who agreed to take it .
the rich get 1 version the poor get the alu mercury one

nope not anti vac at all im anti alu an mercury in health care products an that includes gaviscon ,

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":gri4lty9 said:
Regular testing does help as the infected cattle are destroyed before they can infect others in the herd . Which is why I cannot understand why it's not made compulsory . With the rate of expansion in our population and the increased pressures on our food chain as a consequence , surely we want that food chain to be as efficient as possible .
Let's hope the drugs to immunise the cattle is developed sooner rather than later .

Mike

Regular testing is carried out on farms. I am not sure of the normal frequency, I think it is once per 6 months when the herd is clean of BTb.
When a cow tests positive for BTb all the others in the herd are tested and the farmer cannot sell or move the cattle off the farm until he gets a clean test. The testing cycle is then every 90 days until he gets a clear test, when it reverts to normal.
The problem is that the tests are not 100 accurate. Skin test is the one DEFRA vets use usually. Although Gamma interferon is another but more expensive.
The vaccine for cattle does not work.

Re: Re:

Spiderman":1w410qkd said:
Mike Muz 67":1w410qkd said:

Mike

Regular testing is carried out on farms. I am not sure of the normal frequency, I think it is once per 6 months when the herd is clean of BTb.
When a cow tests positive for BTb all the others in the herd are tested and the farmer cannot sell or move the cattle off the farm until he gets a clean test. The testing cycle is then every 90 days until he gets a clear test, when it reverts to normal.
The problem is that the tests are not 100 accurate. Skin test is the one DEFRA vets use usually. Although Gamma interferon is another but more expensive.
The vaccine for cattle does not work.

As I understood it , the vaccine was still in the development stage . Tests are done either every 3 or 5 years I think . Can't remember which . Certainly not as frequently as 6 months . I am willing to be corrected on this if there are any farmers here though

Mike

Testing is annual in effected areas (South west, west of England, and east sussex), 4 yearly for the rest of the country (more often for susceptible herds).

A positive test will send the positive animals to slaughter, and the herd will be placed under movement restrictions. The remaining herd is tested at 60 day intervals until 2 consecutive tests are cleared. After 2 clears, tests are taken at 6 months and a year.

There is no effective vaccine for TB, it's also prohibited by EU legislation to give cattle vaccine in the field. Tests outside the EU gave an experimental bovine TB vaccine 55-65% efficacy; even the human vaccine for TB is less than 70% effective against the respiratory form of TB.

Back