Badger Cull.

Re:

http://www.vet-wildlifemanagement.org.u ... e&Itemid=1
Informative video.

This countryside is a managed environment, the last wolf was killed in Scotland in 1707.
Badgers have no predator apart from cars. How is the Badger population to be managed?
Foxes, rabbits and deer are culled,

In1997 the Labour party received £1M from International Fund for Animal Wefare (IFAW), the UK president was the sister of Tony Banks, Labour MP for Islington.
No licences for Badger control have been issued since 1997 as per section 10 of the 1992 Badgers Act.
Since 1997 the incidence of BTb in cattle has increased exponentially to cost HMG £1Billion in total.

Re: Re:

Spiderman":g0y3krsa said:
http://www.vet-wildlifemanagement.org.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
Informative video.

This countryside is a managed environment, the last wolf was killed in Scotland in 1707.
Badgers have no predator apart from cars. How is the Badger population to be managed?
Foxes, rabbits and deer are culled,

In1997 the Labour party received £1M from International Fund for Animal Wefare (IFAW), the UK president was the sister of Tony Banks, Labour MP for Islington.
No licences for Badger control have been issued since 1997 as per section 10 of the 1992 Badgers Act.
Since 1997 the incidence of BTb in cattle has increased exponentially to cost HMG £1Billion in total.

So that's how you manage wildlife, the last wolf was killed , so let's kill all the rabbits all the deer all the foxes and all the badgers oh and hedgehogs they have sharp edges,,,be honest feller fake all you me or anyone is going to bring about any change , a billion pounds hey that's nothing but paper with a big number on it, we tax payers pick up the bill ,,IDE say mis management of the countryside how is it we can't even inoculate and keep cows healthy some one is making money someware

Some people commenting in this thread need to do some reading. And then make an informed comment, instead of the dross being puked up here.

I am not involved with the badger cull. I do work with Vets, Farmers, and AHVLA officers (Defra) who are. None of them take this lightly, and money does not factor into it (for them) at any stage.

It's an emotive subject. That's not an excuse to be obtuse just because you don't know the facts.

Re:

The trouble is, the vast majority, especially those who live in cities and large urban conurbation's know nothing about farming, farmers, or the countryside at all, and certainly don't know the facts about both the inoculation programme or the cull, as neither side in the discussion have made the facts clear.

I've listened to representatives on both sides, and neither have made much sense, the pro's trotting out scientific opinion and the protesters just going on about protecting wildlife.

As for badgers at the side of the road; I guess some could be dumped, but as a horse rider I get to see (and smell) a lot of badgers on all sorts of roads. This year there must have been six or eight killed on stretch of 30 / 40mph road through Hutton on the outskirts of W-s-M. The road has a village in the middle and is probably no more that a mile and a half long.

Re:

The fact is that more frequent testing works. It's been proven to reduce the spread by a significant amount . So why doesn't it happen ?
During my working day I see a lot of supposed road kill badgers . Rarely do i see any sign of impact with a vehicle . I know they're solid animals but they would still show some signs of vehicle impact . What we need here are farmers , vets and scientists that ride old bikes .
Any takers ?

Mike

Re:

We should all live and let live.. I love seeing badgers and foxes and deer and especially hares. sadly less of late.

Attachments

• THM 1.jpg
    THM 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 120
Re:

Yes it is HM . Nice to see that wild animals can survive , despite our need to get rid of any species inconvenient to our way of life

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":1tfzfwts said:
..so anyone who 'knows the facts' would agree with the cull? Convenient.

I didn't say that I agreed with it, just that there was a lot of uninformed opinion.

There is no viable immunisation/inoculation that works (other than potentially hiding the TV and creating more carriers that will give a false negative during testing).

Increased testing culls more positive cattle, but doesn't solve the root cause. There's also the tenuous argument that badgers aren't the cause of the spread of TV (although the evidence seems to suggest they are).

The people involved at ground level don't want to cull badgers, but see it as necessary.

If we need to slaughter say 40,000 cows because they show tb when tested then something is wrong with farming. How long can a cow have tb does it die within weeks or months of contracting it, how does a badger give it to the cow I imagine a cow and a badger meet rarely . Don't badgers stick to woodland areas around ware they live, use the same routes walking from sets etc. just seems crap , how much meat is sold after the crow is slaughtered, bet the meat ends up in shops.
Can a cow get tb and carry it around infecting other cows it self and not show signs that it has tb, easy option same as ever let's blame the badger

Back