Backpedaling... (Shimano/Tioga pedal restoration)

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Ok, so in the renovation sticky thread, a link to rjsdavis's excellent how to service thread was posted;
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/shimano-pd-m731-bearing-service-how-to.336402/
I initially said it was great but in the wrong place as it’s a service thread not a "renovation/restoration" thread which normally look at clever ways to repair or re-create factory finishes and that it was a bit "part specific" , then after actually using it for reference whilst servicing 2 sets of PD-MT60 Deore pedals for a tandem build I realised it does cover quite a few Shimano models and would likely be useful on some Tioga copies as well.
It just needed a bit of blurb & a few photos regarding the finish of the pedals, so here we go....

Here's the four MT-60's from 1988. usual fare, working ok-ish but loads of scuffs and surface rust where the original paint has gone.
IMG_1424.jpg
First job, strip down and service as per the aforementioned thread, whilst the cages and bolts have a bath in some Evaporust..
IMG_1433.jpg
24hrs later & all the surface rust has gone, quick rinse with petrol (never water as per the Evaporust instructions, that's just silly)
IMG_1434.jpg
Then a rub down with 240 grit wet & dry and a buzz in the nooks & crannies with my trusty Dremel (NB if this was a concourse resto I’d be going through the grades to at least 800, but these are for riding on so I didn't bother)
IMG_1435.jpg
Then a blast over with Acid etch black primer.
IMG_1436.jpg
Quick splodge in with some water based white acrylic....
IMG_1437.jpg
Wet your thumb and wipe off the excess, no fine painting skills required here. (NB after this stage I give mine a whiff over with clear satin lacquer, sorry I forgot to photograph this.)
IMG_1438.jpg
Serviced units had a quick wipe over with MAAS metal polish.
IMG_1441.jpg
Bolts look like new
IMG_1444.jpg
And relax...
IMG_1447.jpg

Last edited:
Ah need to do this on my crusty looking one’s. I’ve used 2K clear coat stuff on other black shimano parts and found it gave a nice protective coat and shiny effect

Back