Backpacks.

I've got a Race Face one from years ago, it's not got the bells and whistles of a Camelback, but it holds a 3 litre bladder and is incredibly light. It also expands to hold a helmet and has enough space for all my essentials, I'm not sure if you can still get them but it's what I'd recommend if you can.

Alpkit gourdon , small 20l one , good price , very robust and most important waterproof, takes up to 3l bladder and has a couple of small external twangy pockets.
Matthew

I use a Berghaus Freeflow/Airflow - you can get similar designs much cheaper (inc Aldi's) but essentially the pack is held off your back by stretched vented webbing so your back is gets much less sweaty - far more comfortable as an all day pack despite the extra weight.

Mine (an earlier version, not sure if current models are the same) has a full sheet plastic panel so it also effectively works like a back protector in a crash, I've tested that a few times :) I have the 25 litre version it is designed to hold most of the contents at the bottom of the rucksack which helps keep the centre of gravity lower.

you can see the way the webbing works on the rear pic here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JRNMD6/r ... B005JRNMD6

Matthews":j4f9jjp5 said:
Alpkit gourdon , small 20l one , good price , very robust and most important waterproof, takes up to 3l bladder and has a couple of small external twangy pockets.
Matthew

Looked the Gourdon up but unfortunately the 20l is out of stock until July..:-( from the reviews I can't imagine wanting anything else,.

So is 20l a medium size pack?

If i bought a non camelbak branded one, what are the options for bladders? Like where do they fit etc or if xx pack has its own version of bladder?

My mate says he had a dakine pack which was good but the bladder had a poor design and kept leaking (like a ziploc bag?).

cyfa2809":39qyp5fe said:
So is 20l a medium size pack?

you mean 2.0 l surely? If you own or have seen a 20 l jerry can, they you'd know they are hoooooge

Here is my poem about one.

There once was a man
With a 20 litre jerry can
In it was petrol
To fill up a van.

jerry-can-green20l[1].gif

A bit off topic,

But every van I have seen has been a diesel
Unless the man in your poem is in the A Team , their van was a v8 :roll:
:LOL: :LOL:
G

Haha great poem that.

20l is the total space, whether fluid or not?

So i guess a 2l bladder and 18l for storage??

Back