B.S.O. Alert! Pictures Too

People get affronted when you present them with the oily swarfey mess that they let their kids fly about on don't they?
"Look at this. If I can do this with it it's really really bad, okay"

HTF can you bend the cable adjuster on a brake lever? By turning the bars right the way round and putting it in the shed. And then leaving them 180 degrees round the headtube and riding to school. Then you fit a new Shimano sealed BB to it and it doubles in value.

Yesssss, a drawback to liking bikes isn't it? BSO.

I have just finished the BSO and hopefully will never see another ever again. It needed:
1. Brake cables inners.
2. Some outer had gone too.
3. One of the blocks from the back had disappeared.
4. Front braked adjusted so they reach the rim.
5. Shifters replaced with thumbshifters.
6. Rear mech adjusted so it can reach more than two cogs.
7. Bottom bracket rebuilt with grease (there was none) and new bearings.
8. All cones adjusted.
9. Forks now have 10mm travel (up from 2mm).
10. Rear travel (sideways) reduced to only 10mm.
11. Seat post now free and greased.

Never again!

And your time and effort at an hourly rate, not even counting parts= vastly more than the bike is worth.

A commendable effort, but Like I say, I hope you dont see another one!

Iwasgoodonce":3cdhfw03 said:
I have just finished the BSO and hopefully will never see another ever again. It needed:
1. Brake cables inners.
2. Some outer had gone too.
3. One of the blocks from the back had disappeared.
4. Front braked adjusted so they reach the rim.
5. Shifters replaced with thumbshifters.
6. Rear mech adjusted so it can reach more than two cogs.
7. Bottom bracket rebuilt with grease (there was none) and new bearings.
8. All cones adjusted.
9. Forks now have 10mm travel (up from 2mm).
10. Rear travel (sideways) reduced to only 10mm.
11. Seat post now free and greased.

Never again!
I used to do that in a daily basis ;)

Actually thinking about it I'm still doing it as a lot of my current work via the website is warranty/servicing work from the bike shop I worked in.

Awaiting the parts for an exploded 6spd free-wheel off a £109 hardtail. the free-wheel has literally split in two & left the screw on part on the hub...

...stop...

Hammer Time :twisted:

You know, for $30 (about £15), I found a used 1992-93 GT for my friend to use as a commuter. It has full 7-speed Suntour parts, cromo main tubes and all it needs is a new cable job and one tire's a little dry-rotted. I guess that's the story of all of our finds :D

I can't believe how people so stupidly flock to department-store dual suspension bikes, as if (nearly-useless) features strip them of all common sense. I bet the same people buy Bose IPod docks and Kia cars with spoilers and big rims. Looking cool with crappy goods...

Back