B******s at work are cancelling our tea breaks

perry":3nwpigtm said:
while i was a self employed builder it was half hour at 10 and half hour at 1 but that was mainly due to doing site work . due to the hours worked / breaks needed one site also had 20mins at 3 for all those on the books . it meant all us sub contractors had to get anything we needed from the forky or swing shovel driver before then :x

i spent some time cleaning chalets where you are paid per chalet not by the hour ( good thing too , i was quick as fook :LOL: ) it was something like £5 and £6 per 1 and 2 bed . funnily enough i didnt really have a break until i had done all i needed or got bored of picking up other peoples slack . best was 14 chalets between 8 and 2

when i had the shop i could obviously stop whenever i wanted for as long as i wanted but anyone who has done similar work would know there isnt ever a convenient time to stop each day ( it would be poor business sense to close for a break the same times others did ) so i would nip to the chip shop or bakery whenever the workload was a bit slack . often i wouldnt bother though .

did nights in a supermarket for a while . loads of breaks :LOL: but i never bothered to stop as it would remind me i was working nights in a supermarket :LOL: didnt take long for the night managers to treat me like a god as i would get the work done quickly without clock watching and dragging it out . i always finished 2 hours early and helped out where needed . the manager even said to me " id love to let you go early but i just cant so when you finish make it look like your still busy " i spent a lot of time wandering around talking to other people :LOL:

worst job i did was temping at a cheese factory :( lots of little 10min breaks and they would shout at you if you were slightly over :roll: trouble was you had to change from boots into wellies , wash your hands , put on white overalls , hair net , beard net , gloves . all that took 5mins :roll: its not good to keep interrupting the flow of work , you lose place of what you were doing and as it was soo strict 5mins upto each break people would slow and clock watch so they didnt lose out on a measly minute :roll:

i did the most work when i had complete freedom over when i could start/stop and have breaks , funny that eh

Thats almost as many shite jobs as I've had! :D

People shouting.... I hate that.

I had a shop in Lincoln road in Peterborough selling the trade-in stuff from a high end Hifi shop. My breaks consisted of feeding the mice (M&Ms were their favourite) and getting quietly pished over at the pub at lunch.

perry":376ocmv2 said:
you had to change from boots into wellies , wash your hands , put on white overalls , hair net , beard net , gloves . all that took 5mins :roll:

That just made me titter during my 1 hour lunch break. I'd never thought about a beard net before for people working in the food industry.

sad thing is i bet you picture a full on massive beard ?

pissed me off as policy was a net for anything that wasnt clean shaven that day !

i have a fairly short beard , around 4mm in length but still had to wear one :x

they fill with condensation so breathing isnt great and they never stay over the beard they end up covering your chin not your neck so are pretty pointless

i forgot about the little covers to put over your feet before putting the wellies on too

oh and if you were taking something to the warehouse a hi vis tabard was necessary

that was for packaging as well as production ! i would often get told to go between the two through the day and you had to change between the 2 as everything had to stay on that side of the factory . most of my time was spent dressing and redressing myself

And there was me picturing a Robinson Crusoe type in a cheese factory :? The things we do for bike cash eh?

I've worn plenty of PPE before being on site and when I was doing my old job as a fitter but I'd just never heard of a beard net before. What a silly idea then.

type beard net into google images

theres a pic of a guy with a mustache not covered , why wear a net if it isnt covering the tash !

Worst job for breaks; working in a mushroom picking factory - breaks! What breaks?

Best job for breaks, working for the Inland Revenue - take a fag / coffee break whenever you like, literally. One geezer used to take 2 or 3 cig breaks every hour, about 5 mins each. Nothing ever mentioned. Wish I'd have stayed there, cushty little number.... :twisted:

Last retail butcher shop i worked in had strict break times rigidly enforced

Starting at. 7:50am

Breakfast. 8:30-9:00am

Elevenses. 11:00-11:15am

Lunch. 12:00-1:00pm

Tea break. 3:30-3:45pm

Finishing. 5:30pm

Very easy going shop, 5 T/S butchers and an apprentice,the owner used to be a pilot in the RAF and knows how to best motivate staff,its the elevenses break that was new to me but he said it makes staff more relaxed after lunch and more gets done.
Seems to work well

Back