B******s at work are cancelling our tea breaks

A lot of places are doing this, place i'm in scrapped one break and are clamping down on fag breaks (not that that bothers me), they are doing some kind of time and (or in ?) motion thing just now, trying to pinch every penny they can, they've scrapped nightshift (setback for me) and are trying to avoid overtime.

They are also coming down hard on slackers so i'll get my ar*e kicked sometime soon :LOL:

I once tried to claim back every cigarette break I'd never had.

It didn't work.

Having said that, I was in for 14 hours yesterday and will be today, but I love it.

Work to rule. Their will be a time when they will need you stay late and help out. Just go home :D

The first thing I think about once at work is in 7 hr 12 mins I'm going home to the GF :cool: :cool: :cool:

And their is no way I'd stay late and miss seeing her.
What's more important in life 'family' or 'work'??? If it's work then I feel very sorry for you.

i only grt 30mins unpaid fcor lunch but my boss lets us go put the kettle on whenever we wish so pretty good like that :cool:

but your bosses are gonna end up leaving the work force with a bad taste in there mouths doing that not good :shock: :cry:

Sounds to me like a certain percentage of staff taking the pi** and the management allowing the rotten apples to spoil things for everyone. Similar happened at my GF's employer as smokers were taking long breaks so non-smokers started to do the same and eventually it was all stamped on. Poor man management IMO.

I work 6am to 430pm (our choice as we only have to work 4 days :D ) and only have a 30 min lunch break. On the upside, we can have food or tea/coffee any time we want albeit by the machines. OR if we want a break I just cover for the guy I work with and vice versa. He changed over his tyres and sorted out his saddle yesterday while I covered him :LOL:

People taking fag breaks though take the piss IMHO. Why should they be allowed?? Why are they allowed to have extra breaks because they have a drug habit :evil: BUT that's another thread I guess...............

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029451

As usual, our wonderful government has left it open to interpretation... :roll:

But:
Rest breaks - a break during your working day
If you are an adult worker (that is, over 1:cool:, you will normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you are expected to work for more than six hours at a stretch.
A lunch or coffee break can count as your rest break. Additional breaks might be given by your contract of employment. There is no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.

The last place I worked for, we had to clock in and out for the bog, breaks and dinner. More than a minute late to work, you had to stay a minute later etc...

The same place also had a genuine airport metal detector to stop us pilfering stuff.

Most people simply used the company's post account to send themselves stuff. ;)

while i was a self employed builder it was half hour at 10 and half hour at 1 but that was mainly due to doing site work . due to the hours worked / breaks needed one site also had 20mins at 3 for all those on the books . it meant all us sub contractors had to get anything we needed from the forky or swing shovel driver before then :x

i spent some time cleaning chalets where you are paid per chalet not by the hour ( good thing too , i was quick as fook :LOL: ) it was something like £5 and £6 per 1 and 2 bed . funnily enough i didnt really have a break until i had done all i needed or got bored of picking up other peoples slack . best was 14 chalets between 8 and 2

when i had the shop i could obviously stop whenever i wanted for as long as i wanted but anyone who has done similar work would know there isnt ever a convenient time to stop each day ( it would be poor business sense to close for a break the same times others did ) so i would nip to the chip shop or bakery whenever the workload was a bit slack . often i wouldnt bother though .

did nights in a supermarket for a while . loads of breaks :LOL: but i never bothered to stop as it would remind me i was working nights in a supermarket :LOL: didnt take long for the night managers to treat me like a god as i would get the work done quickly without clock watching and dragging it out . i always finished 2 hours early and helped out where needed . the manager even said to me " id love to let you go early but i just cant so when you finish make it look like your still busy " i spent a lot of time wandering around talking to other people :LOL:

worst job i did was temping at a cheese factory :( lots of little 10min breaks and they would shout at you if you were slightly over :roll: trouble was you had to change from boots into wellies , wash your hands , put on white overalls , hair net , beard net , gloves . all that took 5mins :roll: its not good to keep interrupting the flow of work , you lose place of what you were doing and as it was soo strict 5mins upto each break people would slow and clock watch so they didnt lose out on a measly minute :roll:

i did the most work when i had complete freedom over when i could start/stop and have breaks , funny that eh

Latest posts

Back