AutoBike SmartShift 2000 Rear Derailleur Very Cool!

I know, but there is a sort of 'offer' for £17.50. I mean £17, for something unusual - unfair to me.

Richard

Without hijacking this thread,
Tel":ztjna256 said:
On another note you do know that centrifugal force is not mythical?

I think our enthusiatic American seller is pointing out that centrifugal "force" does not exist (hence "mythical"). If one swings a conker around on its string (do boys do that nowadays; are they 'allowed' to?) then it goes round in a circle, continually accelerated in the direction of the centre (the holding hand) by a force - centripetal force ('seeking the centre'). Should the knot fail and the conker fly off, it will do so in the direction it was travelling (around its circle) - ie at a tangent, initially in a straight line, as no force other than gravity is then acting on it. Centrifugal force ('fleeing the centre' - Latin fugo = I flee; cf peto - I seek) is a term people use to 'explain' the apparent change in direction (the conker 'fleeing' its centre) as they seek to associate a 'force' with that 'change' in direction (in homage to Newton).

Still think this piece is rather interesting - good luck with sale, at whatever price.

AB

like most things you can ask what you want but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay - maybe it would be better on Ebay with a wider audience that way we can all see what it is?

Without prattling on, I think the seller should be given credit for the info provided at the beginning and he has given RBers the option to buy it. As with anything, he could sell it on ebay but he has been good enough to give us the option to buy it - or discuss it!!!

GLWS

Richard

TGR":11th91zu said:
I am not taking sides here but if it is unusual, usually comes on cheap bikes, there must be loads about. I have never seen one or anything close and i do look on ebay etc regularly. The seller has spent some time writing the ad and i don't think it is fair to abuse him/her as they have provided the info that has sparked the interest.

It may not be worth as much as the asking price, but it is interesting and could be worth some money. Bearing in mind that used stuff which you can buy every day can be £20+ for 600 stuff for example so £17 seems cheap for something unusual.

So GLWS!!!!

Richard

[Edit]Alright, I missed your page two comments but......[/Edit]

The bulk of the text is as he says taken straight from another website, the price as has been pointed out is not $17 but $175. The comments hinting the seller in the right direction may at first seem blunt (if you ignore the above) but ultimately they are useful.

Any way, an interesting idea, executed in the cheapest possible way (pressed metal...urghh!) and intended for low end models to be used by people who find gears a little too confusing whilst on their twice yearly ride along the towpath.

To a collector its a novelty, to any one else, it is useless.

Personally if I was so inclined and patriotic to include a photograph of my nations flag in every picture, I wouldn't do it the disservice of placing that lump of tat on it. (ok that was a little harsh....sorry)

"As a collector of derailleur gears I am interested in this. I usually limit my collecting to pre index and pre ergo derailleurs but am attracted by oddities after this time. However the price is far too high. Its a low end novelty item that I would not pay more than £17:50 for, plus postage. Aside from collectors this item is only useful to someone with a complete bike that needs the part. Cant be many of those folk around. Hope this info helps. Good luck with the sale."

^^^ That is the £17 (GBP) I referred to and not the sellers price of $175.

Just to clarify,

Richard

I in no way intended to abuse the seller. He suggested a price but also asked for feedback on that price. I gave him feedback and my offer was £17.50. Another person said £10. Maybe too cheap but £175 is too dear.

Fair point, as with most sales the pricing has to be subjective and with no guides it makes it harder. I did not intend to suggest you were abusive. I would suggest the price should be higher than £20 but certainly not $175.

Richard

do you still have it

Hi, sorry to revive this. I know it has been a very long time, But have you sold it?
My mom has this bike and it's derailleur wore through.

Back